[NAGDU] Rideshare Issues

Al Elia al.elia at aol.com
Fri Jul 28 12:11:54 UTC 2023

Heather (and all),

Regarding "upgrades" to a larger vehicle: You are correct that you may always  refuse an accommodation, such as an upgrade to a larger vehicle. Also, the company may not refuse to provide you the regular service/vehicle based on your use of a guide dog unless it would pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others. That will usually not be the case, but may be if, for example, your dog had previously demonstrated aggressive behavior toward another passenger or a driver, and the larger vehicle would allow you to be transported while limiting the risk from further aggression.

If you suspect that you are being told that  no rides are available because you are flagged as a service animal user, I would suggest you ask whether they are only checking larger vehicles because of your service animal. If they say  yes, then you ask that they check regular vehicles. If they tell you they can't because of the service animal, you should ask to speak with a  supervisor and raise the issue with them. You seem to have done that in your paratransit situation.

If you are "upgraded" to a different hotel room, and you do not want the upgrade, you should just say so. If the clerk tells you you must take it, just ask for a supervisor per above.

All of that said, sometimes guide dog users want the upgrade for their dog's comfort. I have booked a room in a hotel only to learn that the room has barely enough space for the bed and furniture. If I am offered an "ADA" room that has more space to accommodate my large guide dog, I will take it with thanks and a smile.

With respect to restaurants, I frequently mention in my reservation that I would prefer a table along a wall where my guide dog will not impede traffic by waitstaff or other patrons. Again, that is for my dog's comfort, as he is black and frequently isn't seen by people on the floor of dark restaurants. In New York City, where I live, space is at such a premium that if I don't sit by the wall, someone is almost guaranteed to trip over or step on my dog, which is not good for my dog, for the person involved, or for the perception of the public about guide dogs being permitted in such spaces when they see the aftermath. Conversely, asking for a table where the dog won't be tripped-over signals to the restaurant that they should warn waitstaff about tripping, and also signals that I, as a guide dog user, am considerate of the restaurant's staff and patrons.

That said, if I am told I must wait for a table against the wall, and there are other tables, I will insist on being seated immediately. Same if I want to sit at the bar. Again, I am nice, but firm, and  will requests to speak with a manager if necessary.

As for bus/subway travel, I also prefer to sit in the side-facing seats at the front of the bus, or in the seats next to the doors of the subway that are reserved for people with disabilities. Like you, I find them to be very useful for getting on and off easily without the risk of missing my stop, and for being able to speak with the driver. However,  I appreciate and respect  that others may prefer different seating, and may appreciate being offered and/or being guided to that seating. The same goes for airline seating. I generally prefer the bulkhead, and will request it if available for the ease of boarding and disembarking. Others may prefer different seating. If anyone is  forced into seating they do not want because of their blindness or use of a guide dog, I suggest asking to speak with a CRO. If that is unsuccessful, I suggest filing a complaint on the DOT website.

All of which is to say that I suggest that every guide dog user (or blind person, for that matter) should live the life they want, being as nice but firm as possible when asked by others  to live a different life than the one they want. I know other blind people and other guide dog users choose to live their lives differently than I might choose. That is their journey and I respect it. I suggest we should all do the same.
Yours,

/Æ