[NAGDU] schools that use food rewards

Joy Relton joy.relton at icloud.com
Thu Jun 1 20:42:03 UTC 2023

Hi Madison,

The Seeing Eye does teach you how to taper off from using food rewards as a
part of training different skills. Generally, they teach you to use a
specific procedure to do what they call "clicker training". This is a
technique used in training dogs in other applications as well. They have you
do this until you get a consistent correct response in steps and finally
stop using the food and use the more important incentive which is praise.
>From my experience using dogs for more than forty years, each dog and dog
team is different. When you are in training you and your trainer will learn
what works for your partnership and you will learn to adjust as life
introduces you to more opportunities to grow and change. I have had dogs who
could care less about food so I learned what motivated that particular dog
and adjusted. I'd advise you to not stress over any issue and simply find
the dog school that you believe best works for you and then enjoy meeting
your new partner and learning together.

Best of luck to you.

Joy with Vicky, who is a normal lab and loves her little tidbits of tasty
incentive. She still preens and prances when she praised with or without the
treat.