[NAGDU] guide horse

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 14:10:51 UTC 2023

There is a lot of confusion and misinformation here. The ADA covers
both dogs and miniature horses as service animals. The ACAA only
covers dogs as service animals. People with guide/service mini horses
have the same right of access under the ADA as service dog handlers.
However, when it comes to flying, airlines are not required to allow
miniature horses (though they could choose to just like some choose to
allow pets under certain conditions).

That being said, there are some considerations to think about before
deciding on a horse as an SD. First, you would have to owner train or
find a private trainer. Guide programs train dogs, specifically dogs
they have chosen for their program, not horses or personal dogs.
Training a horse and a dog is not the same because they are not the
same animal. Second, the public is much, much more familiar with dogs
than horses. Dogs attract attention and occasional access denials. a
mini horse will attract a lot more attention and because people are
not familiar with them as SDs, you will likely be much more likely to
experience access denials. Horses need to both be fed and relieved
more often. They can be house broken, but will need more opportunities
to relieve and/or a litter box/outdoor access at home. They are prey
animals and therefore need a lot of socialization, training, and
proper handling to be solid and reliable in public. Socialization,
training and good handling applies to dogs also of course, but again
even more so for horses because they are prey animals not predators.
Horses do offer some advantages, mainly a much longer lifespan and
therefore career, and may be a good option for people with severe dog
allergies.

I think it's a good idea for anyone considering a mini horse as an SD
to ask themselves what a horse can offer them specifically that a dog
can not. I personally wouldn't choose a horse just because you like
them more than dogs for example. A service animal needs to
realistically fit into your lifestyle and be more of a benefit than an
inconvenience. This is actually very similar to what I recommend when
people are considering breeds of dogs as an SD. You may like a certain
breed, but will that breed be a good fit as an SD in general and for
your lifestyle in particular?

Note that I've never had a mini horse, but do know of a couple people
with task trained mini horses.

Danielle