[NAGDU] Working With A Guide Dog

Rachel Grider rachel.grider at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 17:59:23 UTC 2023

Hello, Josh and all:

I wanted to send this in response to your concerns about working with a dog instead of a horse. This is in no way meant to invalidate your concerns.

I shared many of your feelings before getting my first and current guide dog Demi. I was always obsessed with cats, with horses being a close second, and I had no desire for a dog for many reasons. I looked into getting a guide horse, but I realized that it would not fit my lifestyle… So I decided to try working with a dog. My thought was that i could just start the program at The Seeing Eye, but I didn’t have to keep the dog if I didn’t like working with it…

When I first met Demi, it was not instant bonding; I didn’t understand how a little panting, licking creature could be trusted to guide me—but when I first put her harness on, she was a different dog, and I couldn’t believe how confident and competent she was. We definitely had our issues to work through together. and it took a week before we were truly committed to each other, but she has definitely changed my mind about dogs and their capabilities. I now have the deepest love and respect for them.

So my point is, there is nothing wrong with applying for a guide dog program, even if you're not quite sure yet if it will help you. Your school will do their best to choose a dog that fits your personality, lifestyle, and preferences, and you may be surprised by what happens. If you try it and still don’t like working with the dog, you can let the school know and proceed accordingly.

All best,

Rachel