[NAGDU] schools giving Shepherds to first time handlers..

Heather Bird heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Tue May 16 06:30:21 UTC 2023

So, your orientation and mobility instructor is dead wrong. I really wish that ONM instructors wouldn’t try to speak to Guide Dog topics when they don’t really know what they’re talking about. Some of them are quite talented in things like teaching cane technique and map reading skills, but unless they are a certified Guide Dog mobility instructor, chances are their information is not the most reliable. The Seeing Eye, absolutely, gives shepherds to first time handlers, if the person wants one, and if they think the person is a suitable match. And as you pointed out, obviously, Fidelco gives German Shepherd’s to first time handler’s. I also know of individuals going to other schools that train shepherds, in the past, or they currently train. Shepherds, for instance, Guiding eyes , that received a German Shepherd as their first guide  dog. Next, I want to say that while I appreciate your introspection, in terms of thinking that you wouldn’t want to, or couldn’t handle a German shepherd. I would encourage you not underestimate yourself. Some shepherds are much more manageable than some labs, although, in general, you are correct that shepherds need a lot more handling. I don’t think any school should be excluded just because they train German shepherds. If you tell them, you don’t want to shepherd, trust me, they’re not going to give you one. First of all, they want you to be successful, and if they know that you really would be uncomfortable with a shepherd, they’re not going to give one to you. And, I am not sure that I have the band with this late at night, I guess it’s early in the morning, to be politically correct, so I guess I’ll say it in the most blunt  way possible. if someone really doesn’t want to shepherd, they’re not going to waste the shepherd on that person. Let me be clear I’m not saying that you shouldn’t have a guy dog. I’m just saying that shepherds are in such high demand, and there are so many people who very strongly want a German shepherd, that they’re not going to waste one of them on an individual who actively does not want to shepherd.  That would be counterproductive to the applicant, to the dogs, and the other people who would prefer to have that dog. I understand what you’re saying, that generally the more exacting you are with your specifications the longer you wait. But actively not wanting a shepherd actually sort of makes you the opposite of exacting. Basically you’re saying that you want a golden retriever, or a labrador, or a lab golden cross, which is, the vast majority of dogs, being trained at the vast majority of Guide Dogs schools. So, in fact you would be a acting less picky, and would be more likely to get a dog quickly. I’m not sure if I’m explaining it correctly. So, I would absolutely encourage you to apply to The Seeing Eye or to Guiding Eyes  and just let them know that you don’t wanna Shepherd. They’re certainly not going to try to force one on you. And the last thing I want to add is that, you will encounter people who are afraid of your dog from time to time, no matter what you get. My husband has a little, adorable, yellow, Labrador, very mild mannered, From Canine Companions For Independence, and some people are still terrified of him. So if you don’t want anyone to ever be afraid of your dog, then I would say don’t get a dog. Although, if you want to minimize the chances of someone being afraid of your dog, And getting a light colored retriever like a yellow Labrador, or a golden retriever, is your best bet.

I hope this is helpful. And I wish you a lot of luck when you do start applying to schools. I’m sure they’ll find you a fantastic match as long as you let them know upfront what you do and do not want.

Sent from my iPhone