[NAGDU] choosing schools

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Fri May 26 13:34:41 UTC 2023

In terms of weather, I personally wouldn't choose a school solely
based on weather. For example, you could choose a school in the
Northeast because you want a dog with experience around snow. However,
if you get a class in the fall, your dog would have been trained in
the summer and not had any guide training in the snow. Also, most
programs have pretty wide geographical areas for puppy raising. Though
a program might be located in one region, your particular dog may have
been raised in a different region with a different climate. These dogs
are adaptable, and will typically adjust pretty well to any climate
given a bit of time. Of course, you can mention any concerns you have
relating to climate, so that the program can do what they can to
address those concerns.

In terms of food, I think most programs would not have a problem
accommodating dietary preferences to a point. There is usually some
flexibility around meals; there might be more than one meal option or
they might be able to leave one ingredient out of your dish. You could
also proactively bring some snacks you like, so you would at least
have something to eat if you really don't like a meal.

Danielle