[NAGDU] Training Regimens at the Schools and Requirements for Working A Dog

carcione at access.net carcione at access.net
Sun May 28 23:20:09 UTC 2023

What Cindy said agrees with my experience with The Seeing Eye.  I was there
a year and a half ago.  Students usually work in pairs, but I've seen people
work one-on-one for special circumstances.  I did, when Krokus decided to be
super-poky and we were trying to get him to step it out.  A classmate did; I
think because he was much older than the others in my class and not as fast,
so it was hard to match him with a partner.  And one older person got a
whole team to himself of the apprentice instructor and her apprentices.  I
called them his entourage.

Now I'm retired, I don't use public transit very often.  I'll take the bus
or train if I have a reason to, but mainly I'm walking around my
neighborhood.  Some days I may walk 4 or 5 miles, but most days it's 2.5 to
3.  I let the school know that, and they gave me a dog who's fine with that.
He's adaptable.  He can work a bit, or he can work a lot.  But I don't think
he wants to work a lot all the time.  Neither do I, so it's good.
Tracy