[NAGDU] How do you stay mobile with a guide dog?

Debbie Gabe debbiegabe at live.com
Tue Oct 24 02:49:29 UTC 2023

Aloha,
I just got my first guide dog in July after going blind since 1970's. I am now 73 years old and retired. I had thought of a dog when I was still working but just did not want to deal with a dog and it's physical needs back then. When I began to start losing a little of my hearing, a few years ago after I retired, I thought of getting a dog.

I love my dog. It gets me out on long walks, because I am really lazy. She loves going all different places. If we go to a several stores or a big shopping mall with escalators, then I count that as one "long walk" and I only have to walk with her once later that day.

I never liked going out at night by myself using my cane. I didn't trust that others could see me and I was scared as a female. Now with my dog, I am less scared and I trust her to keep me aaway from cars.

I do have to play with her during the day inside my home, especially if it's raining outside. But I recently bought a little doggie raincoat to use with her this winter. She does not like it so we will have to work on that.

My guide dog school made sure we had practice walking with our dogs at night. I don't live in a city.

Hope that helps.
Debbie Gabe
Hawaii