[NAGDU] Any advice on how to deal with poor filtering in guide dog schools?

carcione at access.net carcione at access.net
Fri Sep 29 18:27:27 UTC 2023

Hi Parham.
There are no guarantees, but I do all I can to let the school know about my lifestyle before I go.  That way they can do their best to find me a good match.  I tell them the kinds of walks I take most often, and special things I do occasionally.  So I say things like that I often take walks around my neighborhood, that I like to go out to restaurants, that I use public transit much more often than a private car, and that I may fly somewhere once or twice a year.  You could say that you enjoy exploring new routes and new places.
Every dog is different, just like every human.  Some dogs get bored just walking around a quiet neighborhood, and long for more excitement.  Some enjoy the hustle and bustle of the big city, and others don't mind it once in a while, but get stressed with too much of it.  And, sadly, some decide, once they're out working in the real world, that this work thing isn't as much fun as it was with their trainer, and they want to quit.  Sometimes there are things that can be done to make them enjoy work more, and sometimes not.
Good luck.  If and when you get into training, I'd love to hear about your experiences.  I don't know anything about the Dutch school.
Tracy