[NAGDU] Any advice on how to deal with poor filtering in guide dog schools?

Joy Relton joy.relton at icloud.com
Fri Sep 29 16:44:56 UTC 2023

HI Parham,

I think that you are doing excellent work by investigating the dog guide school and communicating with other dog guide users. From my experience of using dog guides for more than forty years, the best thing that you can do is to ensure that you have awareness of your skills and needs to access your environment. I.e., can you effectively navigate through a neighborhood, a house, a shopping center or whatever. To me, the skills you should have are an ability to orient with your environment. I.e. do you know what you need to do to get from point A. to point B. I am intentionally keeping this somewhat vague because the way in which one navigates is personal as are your skills. I've seen people who couldn't use a cane to find their way out of the room that they were in but they could stand up, take their dog's harness handle and they knew which way to turn and which way they needed to go.

Secondly, you need analytical skills. I.e., I'm at the corner near the bank and I want to go to the...now how do I get there? This will take trial and error and the ability to think on your feet and have confidence and humility. It's ok if you blow it as long as you work with your cane or your dog and get there safely. Then, forgive yourself if you make a mistake and walk two blocks in the wrong direction and find a solution which will get you where you need to go.

Thirdly, pay attention to your dog. How does he/she give you information? What is the dog's personality, motivation, temperament?

Fourthly, ask lots of questions of your trainer. How does this dog deal with... What would you recommend we do if...

Fourthly, find a way to get the experience you need with a trainer to work similar situations to what you will be working when you get home?

Lastly, remember the information others give you is based on their limited experience in specific situations. Don't get tied up in knots because they couldn't gel with a particular dog. That's a two-way street. It's like working with different colleagues or bosses. Life gives you different challenges. If you have the right attitude, the right information and the right skills you can handle it. If you lack any of these, get them.