[NAGDU] Housing bill pertaining to Service animals

Julie Johnson julielj402 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 17:02:04 UTC 2024

My understanding of Federal law has been that you cannot exclude someone on the basis of what their service dog might do. It has to be something the dog has actually done and the owner has not taken preventative action. There is already provision for damages as the responisbility of the handler, so I could see that being mirrored in the state housing law. Probably that already exists though. Every rental agreement I've ever known says that I'm responsible for damages I or anyone in my home has caused. Then there is the issue of additing additional burden onto the service dog handler. This is a super sticky area and though. It has been determinded that local municipalities can charge for a dog license which is a tax. Then we have the recent air line fiasco requiring additional paperwork and hoops, so there is now precident for requiring additional paperwork. There is, of course, the added layer of complexity that airlines, public accomodations and housing are all different law groupings.  Still in the case of recent airline paperwork, there were definitely lots of looking at the ADA for reference when the ACAA regulations were updated.

It's a super mess and I don't see things getting any sort of better in the very near future.

Julie

Sent from my iPhone