[NAGDU] Had a scary experience with Lyft today

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 23 04:23:58 UTC 2024

Hi all. I wanted to let you know about a scary experience I had with Lyft today. Normally, when I get a notification saying that my driver is deaf or hard of hearing, I've never had a problem. But this driver obviously had no form of communicating with me. He did not appear to have Any form of functional speech. So, I get in the car, and I'm waiting for Omega to get in the car and he starts to drive off. I had this terrifying thought that omega and I would be separated in the worst way. All I could do is call Out, wait! And he stopped. Then, when he let me off, he dropped me right in the middle of the parking lot and I had no idea where I was.  All I could hear was traffic behind me and cars pulling in and pulling out of the parking lot all around me. Luckily, I was able to FaceTime my husband and get directions to where the building was. On the way home, I took Uber and that driver was so much better. I reported the driver to both Lyft and the Lyft safety team and I requested a refund. I got that refund too. I think next time I get an alert that a driver is deaf or hard of hearing, I'm just going to cancel it because I can't take the chance. I'm just glad that I OK, my dog is OK, and we got home safely. Have any of you experienced the situation like this? If so, how did you handle it?Thanks.
Leslie Hamric
Cello and Braille Music Teacher