[NAGDU] Had a scary experience with Lyft today

Raul Gallegos - NAGDU rgallegos at nagdu.org
Tue Jan 23 13:42:48 UTC 2024

Hello Leslie,
First off, I am sorry that you had an experience the way you describe. I am
always scared that a driver who is not paying attention will start driving
off before the door closes, dog or no dog. This has happened to me before,
even without my dog, where I was halfway in the car, one foot still on the
ground outside, and the rear passenger door still open, and the driver
starts moving forward. Now, as to riding with someone who is deaf, what I
have done is communicated with the driver via the Lyft or Uber message
system. This presents a solution to the immediate communication, but also
adds a masure of danger from texting and driving. So, another way you can do
this is open your notes app on your iPhone, a Keep Note from your Android,
or some form of large text area on any smart phone, make sure your
brightness is up, and your screen curtain or hide screen feature is
disabled. Then, write out, or dictate a quick message to quickly tell the
driver what you want them to know. I will usually say something like, I hope
we can communicate if necessary for this trip. The best way will be to use
the Uber/Lyft message service since I cannot see your visual signs. I have
found that this usually works well enough. While it is not cool that you
were dropped off where you describe, I hope that it was due to a case of
misunderstanding on the driver's part rather than a deliborte attempt to put
you in danger. Still though, I'm glad that you reported this incident to
Lyft.

Thanks for sharing.