[NAGDU] Had a scary experience with Lyft today

Melissa Allman MAllman at seeingeye.org
Tue Jan 23 14:00:22 UTC 2024

HI Leslie. Once when I still lived in Chicago my Lyft arrived and I got in the car with Luna and said hello. NO response. The driver drove along and I asked how they were doing. No response. I got nervous about the lack of communication so I called a family member so I could be on the phone with someone in case something scary happened. The driver arrived at what I thought was my destination and unlocked the doors and I asked if we were there. NO response. I got out of the car really concerned but was at my destination just as expected. I went inside and reached out to the safety team and gave the driver a very bad rating for refusing to communicate with me. I incorrectly believed that the driver transported my dog but had retaliated by refusing to communicate with me. As an offhand comment, I said to the safety team member chatting with me that the only way I would change my rating is if I learned the driver was deaf. Sure enough, I was told my driver was deaf, at which point I changed my rating to a 5, said the ride went as expected, and tipped the driver.

I think I might have taken that ride back in 2018 and I seem to remember the safety team saying the driver had a sign, but I received no alert back then. It was an alarming experience, but only because I didn't receive an alert. Your experience sounds very different and I'm sorry that happened to you.
Melissa