[NAGDU] Walking the Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage Route in Northern Spain with a Guide Dog

Al Elia al.elia at aol.com
Wed Jan 24 14:02:27 UTC 2024

Richard – I’m so glad to hear that you’re doing this. I walked the Camino from Burgos to Santiago back in 2010 or so with my then-guide Zion, a German Shepherd. I did not use a tour guide, but simply showed up, so I can’t tell you about using a tour guide. However, my experience was that if was not difficult to find a person or group to walk with for a day or longer. The only parts I found to be a bit difficult, from a blindness perspective, were the parts where you walked through a city because the signs identifying the camino path needed following, so walking without a partner/group was a challenge. I only had to do it solo a few times, and when I wanted to confirm if I was on the right track, asking people on the street or in a cafe/store for help yielded assistance. Note that there is a section of the camino towards the end (I don’t recall the towns), where you had to either country walk along a mountain road or navigate a foot-path strewn with large rocks that my guide dog refused to guide me along, and there is a section earlier on where  you have to ford a stream.

As for lodging, you can just stop at whatever refugio you find after about 4 or 5pm. You’ll hear when your near a refugio. In my entire time there, I only had one instance where an innkeeper refused me because of my guide dog, and contacting the police solved that problem.

As for getting your dog in to Spain, you need an international health certificate. I don’t recall whether it had to be stamped by the USDA within 48 hours of fflying, or if that was just for traveling to the UK. In any case, I’m sure googling will inform you of the process. You’ll need to have your dog microshipped, and depending on the type of chip used, you may need to bring a chip-reader with you for Spanish customs to use. In practice, I only had to actually produce my documentation once when enteringt the EU out of several trips, but that was back in the good old days before the sstupid ACAA attestation forms. Things may be stricter now.

Good luck, and enjoy! The Camino was the most mentally-relaxing trip of my life.

Yours,

/Æ