[NAGDU] Walking the Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage Route in Northern Spain with a Guide Dog

Richard richard.petty at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 24 02:58:25 UTC 2024

All,

For some time I have hoped to walk the Camino de Santiago, the pilgrimage
route to the Northern Spanish city of Santiago de Compostela. The time is
now. My pup is in great shape and I can train for the walk. I should be
ready by the time I want to go, later this year or late spring 2025. I hope
to walk a portion of the longer route, perhaps  about 80 miles in eight
days. Segment length varies. Some days may cover as many as 12 miles.

Do any of you know of anyone who has traveled to Spain with their pup? I
hope to learn how receptive Spanish authorities are. It would be wonderful
to connect with anyone who has walked the Camino with their pup. I hope to
find a group organized by a  tour provider.

The Seeing Eye Web page on international travel has been quite useful. I now
know more about  required certificates for vaccination verification and
related matters. Through the site I located one dog training program in
Spain, Fundación ONCE del Perro-Guía in Madrid. Now I'm searching for a
friend or associate who speaks Castilian Spanish to help me communicate with
this school about guide dogs in Spain.

By the way, through a friend, I located one tour provider, a British
company, Travel Eyes International, but they do not accept dog guides on
their tours. Imagine that! Do any of you know of other tour companies and of
anyone who has had experience with a tour provider--preferably a provider
that accepts handlers who work their dogs.

I will appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Richard Petty
Richard.petty at earthlink.net