[NAGDU] Seeing Eye

Al Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Wed Mar 13 19:23:49 UTC 2024

Hi, Julie!

I'm on my fifth Seeing Eye dog.  I got my first in july of 1979, when we
still had traffic checks for dinosaurs.  (In 1989, when I got my second,
there were wooly mammoths.)

I've been very happy with Seeing Eye.  When I decided abruptly that I
wanted a guide dog, it didn't matter to me which school I'd go to:  the
first Federationist I hung out with had one from Guiding Eyes for the
Blind.  My mom insisted that I should apply to Seeing Eye, and I had no
problem with that, other than the old-style formality I saw and that was
in effect for my first two classes.  I learned later that it was the
only school from which you graduated with outright ownership, and I
became very glad indeed that I'd gone there.  (I understand that this is
no longer true, but I don't know the ownership policies of the other
schools.)

I've had five good dogs and a good instructor to help with each one.
Sometimes, thinking about my mistakes over the years, I've wondered if I
was a bad match for my poor dogs, but I think they were all good matches
for me.  I will admit that my third instructor paid such close attention
to detail and seemed to find so much I was doing wrong that I worried
about flunking out, but that dog came home to mostly work well, cause
mischif often, and let me know if my wife was locked out or something
else was amiss.

I wish you the best in your class.

Al