[NAGDU] Your fun not so good for your dog

joy.relton at icloud.com joy.relton at icloud.com
Fri Mar 15 02:16:03 UTC 2024

Oh that must have been scary to experience. Our son and daughter-in-law's dogs have managed to find some edibles and they had to watch them carefully. I carry a gentle lead in my pocket and, whenever a certain little lab tries to sniff and doesn't stop with the second verbal correction I show her the gentle lead and say "you have two choices" If she doesn't stop that gentle lead goes on and I have little trouble after that. She is quick to remind me if we get to the end of the block and she is behaving herself that she'd like to have it off and have another chance please. This was suggested to me by Lea Johnson when she talked to me about one of my earlier dogs. For me it works. It's a bit like counting to three. Our kids got smart with the counting, but they knew if we got to three and they hadn't stopped what they were doing or made a better choice there would be consequences. Gentle firmness and consistency takes all of the frustration and fight out of it.

Fortunately, my dogs haven't ever picked anything like that up but, now that we live in the Portland Oregon area it is more likely than some areas so I am alert. The funniest thing that I ever experienced was with my first dog. We arrived at the down curb and she stopped beautifully but didn't respond to the "good girl, Vicki, forward". My trainer said "look at her mouth. Vicki was standing there with a stick between her paws and she was sort of twisting it back and forth showing me that she'd like to play fetch please.