[Ncabs] April Conference Call Minutes

sharon_newton sharon_newton at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 20 17:41:46 UTC 2010

NCABS  MONTHLY CONFERENCE CALL

APRIL 12, 2010

MEMBERS PRESENT:  Brice Smith, Cindy Bennett, Dasha Radford,  Abbey  Lanier, Cala Estes, Jewel Shuping, Sean Mealin, Justin Salisbury, Sharon Newton

STUDENT SEMINAR 2010:  Thirty students attended.  The total number of seminar participants was fifty.  A seminar feedback link is on the NCABS website.  We discussed topics of concern such as food cost, enlarging the technology session, the community service project,  marketing strategies for potential seminar presenters as well as participants, etc.  We are eager to receive feedback from this year’s participants so that  next year’s seminar can be even better.

PHILOSOPHY QUESTION:    What accommodations for testing do you use?  What has been your experience in this area?  The discussion was energetic,. fast paced, and  encompassed some of the following ideas:

  1..  Extended time for test taking.
  2.. If the way the test content is presented gets in the way of the test taker’s knowledge base, a reader might be useful.
  3..  Some people use readers for math, some others use calculators.
  4.. Ideas were discussed like using wiki sticks for grafts, different colored paper for contrast, pegs and string  for connecting stars and constellations.
  5.. Testing location:  Disability office vs.  in  or near the classroom.
The above are only a few  of the concerns, problems and solutions raised by this philosophy question.    To fully benefit from this discussion one needed to be on the call.  The more participants we have, the better we can help each other.

The next conference call will be Monday night, May 10, 2010, at 9:30 p.m. using the same call–in number and conference code number.  Please plan to call in and share your concerns, needs, great ideas and experiences!

Respectfully submitted

Sharon Newton

Secretary, NCABS