[Ncabs] NFB of NC State Convention Friday Night

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 01:52:36 UTC 2011

Typically the exhibit hall will run from 6-9. In 2009 we did have both
an exhibit hall and a game night. The game night was very
unsuccessful, but we had different people at each location. If we do
an event let's just make sure people can still concentrate on running
the table and selling snack packs, because Friday night brought a lot
of sales.

I have always thought it would be really cool to have a student track
separate from the general sessions. Several other states do this, but
our state board has been staunchly against it in the past, but if we
develop a good argument, we could present it. We could perhaps have
some of the relevant presenters present to the general session and
then perhaps present separately to the students so they could
concentrate on their student related services and answer our more
specific questions such as Bookshare and NCLBPH. This would be a
bigger undertaking, but it could help us attract more students, and if
we bring up the idea of a student track, it could only be during one
of the general sessions, and maybe only a portion of one like 2 hours
or so.

We could do an event Friday. This year, Gary wants to stress to
members to get to convention early, because there will be more
sessions during the day. I think it would be cool to have some
students at these sessions which will probably be run by our national
rep to take notes for the students or something. I will not have the
school obligation, and depending on when the Ashevillians get a ride
down, I could potentially represent the students at these sessions. If
Asheville won't come early, I will see if I can afford to go Thursday
night. But if we wanted to do something concurrently on Friday, then
we would have to ask, and like I said, typically NC is not in favor of
anything running concurrent with their programming, and during the day
Friday would most likely be difficult for students.

We could always arrange to have a student breakfast that could be more
socially oriented than our business meeting lunch, or we could do
something after the exhibit hall like walk to a close buy
restaurant/bar or something.

Cindy