[Ncabs] GMSAA Education Committee info

Alan A. Chase achase11 at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 28 02:34:16 UTC 2011

NCABS,

I'm wearing my Chair of the Education Committee for The Governor Morehead School Alumni Association hat right now.  Please find below some things you can to do to help raise awareness about the issues facing the closure of Governor Morehead School.  Please note that you are welcome to use my name or say you got this information from me, but note that i'm not representing Wake County Public Schools in any fashion.

 I informed you all last week of the announcement regarding the closure
 and consolidation of Governor Morehead School.  On Thursday of this
 week Dr. Atkinson, State Superintendent of Schools, will address the
 State Board of Education regarding this decision.  I think it is
 important that we begin a dialogue with the members of the State Board
 of Education so they know what questions to ask of the Superintendent
 during her presentation.  I also feel it is important we begin asking
 questions of our state legislators since they are returing to Raleigh
 for business on Monday.  They need to know the concerns too.  This
 needs to be done this week!!!  Please take some time to call.

 Below are some questions you may wish to ask of these individuals.
 Below the questions are contact information for the State Board of
 Education and the Legislative Education Oversight committee.  At this
 point, we are not taking a postion, but only want them to consider the
 implications of this action.

 1.  How can ENCSD administrators trained in deaf education make
 instructional decisions for students who are blind?  How will
 resources and money be shared?
 2.  Will students who are blind get equal access to resources since
 they are a satellite campus?
 3.  What assurances are there that
 students who are blind will be kept in a stable environment in > Raleigh?
 4.  What will the future hold for parents who wish for their children
 to attend GMS?
 5.  If, in the future, ENCSD decides to close the satellite campus in
 Raleigh, how will be the students who are blind have access to
 transportation or learn travel skills in rural Wilson County?
 6.  How will these students access the many transition services in
 Raleigh?
 7.  What will happen to the one and only teacher education program for
 teachers of the visually impaired in Raleigh?
 8.  Doesn't it make more sense to have one school for the blind and
 one school for the deaf along with a deaf satellite campus?

State Board of Education

William C. Harrison
301 N. Wilmington St.,
6302 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-6302
919.807.3441

June St. Clair Atkinson
6301 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-6301
919.807.3432

Jean W. Woolard
6472 NC Highway 32 South
Plymouth, NC 27962

Reginald Kenan
PO Box 472 Warsaw, NC 28398
910.293.7801

Kevin D. Howell
NC State University
Campus Box 7001
Raleigh, NC 27695
919.515.9340

Shirley E. Harris
229 Fox Den Road
Troy, NC 27371
1.800.801.7983

Chris Greene
811 Country Club Drive
High Point, NC 27262
336.882.3800

John A. Tate
1431 Biltmore Drive
Charlotte, NC 28207-2556
704.374.6451

Robert Thomas Speed
P.O. Box 432
Boone, NC 28607-0432
828.264.1191

Wayne McDevitt
PO Box 63
81 Morlin Acres
Marshall, North Carolina 28753
828.649.2144

Patricia (Tricia) N. Willoughby
20301 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-0301
919.715.3535

Melissa E. Bartlett
Roxboro Community School
115 Lake Drive
Roxboro, NC 27573

Joint Legislative Education Oversight Committee

Senator Jerry W. Tillman
1207 Dogwood Lane
Archdale, NC 27263
(336) 431-5325

Senator Tom Apodaca
1504 Fifth Avenue, West
Hendersonville, NC 28739
(828) 696-0574

Senator Andrew C. Brock
160 New Hampshire Court
Mocksville, NC 27028
(336) 936-0180

Senator Charlie Dannelly
Legislative Building, Room 1127
Raleigh, NC 27601
(919) 733-5955

Senator Linda Garrou
3910 Camerille Farm Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27106
(336) 922-4192

Senator Louis M. Pate, Jr.
P.O. Box 945
Mount Olive, NC 28365
(919) 658-3637

Senator Jean Preston
P.O. Box 4640
Emerald Isle, NC 28594
(252) 354-6993

Senator Gladys Robinson
Legislative Building, Room 1120
Raleigh, NC 27601
(919) 715-3042

Senator Robert Rucho
Legislative Office Building, Room 300-A
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 733-5655

Representative Bryan R. Holloway, Co-Chair
1165 Sterling Pointe Drive
King, NC 27021
(336) 985-0826

Representative Linda Johnson, Co-Chair
1205 Berkshire Dr.
Kannapolis, NC 28081
(704) 932-1376
Representative Hugh A. Blackwell
321 Mountain View Ave., SE
Valdese, NC 28690
(828) 879-8454

Representative Marcus Brandon, Jr.
200 Oak Street, Apt. 3
High Point, NC 27260
(336) 987-3357

Representative Ken Goodman
832 Williamsburg Drive
Rockingham, NC 28379
(910) 997-2712

Representative Mark K. Hilton
1351 Northern Drive, NW
Conover, NC 28613
(828) 464-9006

Representative James H. Langdon, Jr.
10176 NC 50 Hwy. N.
Angier, NC 27501
(919) 894-5797

Representative Marvin W. Lucas
3318 Hedgemoor Circle
Spring Lake, NC 28390
(910) 497-2733

Representative Gaston L. Pridgen
1044 Mercer Mill Road
Lumberton, NC 28358
(910) 608-3277

Senator Dan Soucek
Legislative Office Building, Room 310
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 733-5742

Senator Richard Stevens
132 Lochwood West Drive
Cary, NC 27518
(919) 851-0228

Representative Norman W. Sanderson
269 Bennett Road, #4
Arapahoe, NC 28510
(252) 444-4404

Representative Paul B. Stam
P.O. Box 1600
Apex, NC 27502
(919) 362-8873

Alan A. Chase, B.S.
Chair, GMSAAI Education Committee

--
Alan A. Chase, B.S.
Cross Categorical Resource Teacher, Wake County Public School System