[Ncabs] October Conference Call

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Tue Oct 4 23:36:56 UTC 2011

Hello Fello Blind Students of North Carolina!

Its time for all of us to reunite again for our monthly conference call! Get excited!

When: Monday, October 10, 2011 at 9:30 pm until we're done.
How to get there: find a phone, dial 712-432-3900, listen to operator (or not), enter 3866158, and state your name (because its awkward when you don't).
What to do once your there: Tell me (Kevin) how to spell your name, tells us your concerns and ideas (try to keep them relevant to NCABS), listen, and discuss philosophy question.
How long: probably an hour.

The philosophy question I would like everyone to consider for this week is below:
---
As blind students, we know that we have the ability to take on any major and be successful in whatever career that our education leads us to. However, some career paths have had little or no blind participants to date. So if you are one of the first blind people to try a particular career path, you will likely run into a world of frustration and complications in terms of accessibility. In addition to accessibility issues, you also have to worry about keeping up with difficult classes and possibly research, volunteering, or other things that your major might require outside of class. All of this stress may test your motivation. So my question is: how can you tell if a lack of motivation/interest in your career path comes from frustration due to accessibility issues or if it actually comes from a genuine lack of interest to work in that field?
---

Please give this some thought for discussion on Monday. Also, if you have any philosophy questions, email them to the list serve or bring them up on the call.

Also, we're working on planning the March seminar, so tell us any ideas you have for it.

Have a great week and see you all Monday!

Kevin
NCABS Secretary