[Ncabs] I need your help

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 01:55:02 UTC 2012

Great idea! Here are a bunch of mine. And, if you want a good what to
do when you see a blind person list, I think the NFB has one. I know
that a version was drafted at BLIND, Inc., and I could get it if you
wish. I'm glad that you're doing this, and I think it will bring forth
some great discussion!

If you see me using a white cane, and if I am not following the
straightest/most efficient path, or if I do not engage in direct eye
contact, please do not assume that I have lessened cognitive
abilities. I may, and I may not. Please do not speak to me
unreasonably loudly or use endearing terms such as "sweetheart" and
"honey." I am a competent adult, and I would prefer to be addressed as
such. We have all learned not to judge people by their appearance.

My hearing does not compare to that of a superhero.

If you feel that I may need help or if there is visual information
that I may wish to know about, please ask me, with verbal language, if
I would like help or to know such information. Getting my attention by
physically grabbing me is inappropriate and I may think that you are a
dangerous person.

If you do ask me if I need help, and if I say no, please do not get
offended. You probably could be very helpful, but I am making the
choice to figure out something on my own, and I would prefer if that
choice was respected. I would award you the same respect.

I am not offended by certain language such as the word "blind" or
"see." I am blind, and if others have other opinions, then they will
correct you. Also, I "watch" TV and I "look" at the sunset, not
"listen." I prefer to use words that align with the rest of society.

My dog is not a compass. I direct it where to go; it does not direct me.

I have interests just like you. Not all of us are weirdly obsessed
with the stereotypes you see in the movies such as music, massage
therapy, or guide dogs. If someone does like these things, it is
doubtful that blindness is the sole reason for such a fascination.

Yes, I am a blind guy, but I am aware that my partner is attractive.
In fact, that may have been one of the things that drew me to him/her.
So please don't "let me know" as a stranger in public. That might make
him/her or both of us uncomfortable. We all have strategies for
knowing if people are physically attractive or intelligent regardless
of the presence of sight. And no, for guys especially, it is not by
inappropriately touching women and blaming it on blindness like you
see in the movies.

Helen Keller is not my hero. I respect the role that she played in our
society, but I look up to a lot of other famous people who were/are
not blind.

I may have blind friends, but I also enjoy interacting with all types of people.

My abilities are not limited to intellect. Some blind people are quite
talented tradesmen, and I am happy to get my hands dirty along with
everyone else if the job that needs to be done requires physical
labor.

If I am hanging out with a sighted person, they are not my "worker."
We are just friends who hang out like everyone else. Sometimes, my
friend might help me with something, but I assist them as well.

There are a variety of alternative techniques that I incorporate into
my work. So when I apply for a job, please do not look for the reasons
why I may not be able to do the job that have to do with blindness and
immediately dismiss me as a candidate. I would not waste your time
applying for something I could not foresee myself doing, so try to
break away from your fears of unfamiliarity and get to know how I do
things. You never know, some of my techniques might be helpful for
sighted people too.

If you treat me with respect, I am happy to answer any questions you
have about blindness. I enjoy educating people. I probably don't have
an hour to stop and talk in the street though. So if you really want
to get to know me, then introduce yourself, and maybe we can get
coffee. And, as much as I can teach you about not only blindness, but
about myself, I'm sure you'll have plenty to contribute about yourself
that I can learn as well. There is no set manual for how to interact
with blind people nor should there be. We are just people. We just
want the basic respect that you would award anyone else.

Cindy