[Ncabs] May 2012 Conference Call Minutes

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Tue May 15 02:34:16 UTC 2012

Hello fellow blind students of North Carolina and everyone else:

Here are the minutes for tonight's call:

Attendance
Justin Salisbury (President)
Lea Williams (Vice President)
Gary Ray (NFB President)
Justin Thornton (Webmaster)
Kevin Currin (Secretary)
Alan Chase (treasurer)
Griffin Lynch
Phillip
Sharon Newton

Meeting called to order at 9:34 pm.

Secretary’s Report
Last meeting (in April) we discussed improving attendance for the student seminar and the student portion of the state convention and what types of activities to have at both. We also discussed sponsoring students who are going to national convention.

Treasurer’s Report
$2855 in account. A check is being waited on to be cashed for $300 which will reduce the balance to $2555.

National Convention Sponsorship
Justin Salisbury and Alan Chase are going to the national convention and would like to get NCABS sponsorship. The officer board suggested a $600 sponsorship that would give $300 to Alan and $300 to Justin. The proposal was approved by the members on the call.

State Convention
The student fee for the state convention is $50. This fee is cheaper than the nonstudent fee. The state convention will be September 6-9. In order to get the $50 student fee, you must register online at www.nfb.org.
Students will have a housing arrangement that has two rooms for males and two for females. Each room will have two double beds. There will also be two couches.
There will be volunteer drivers who will drive state convention participants from the air port, bus station, and train station to Camp Dogwood where the convention will be held.
Participants will also have access to facilities such as the nature trail, minigolf course, and more.

Student Track at State Convention
We have an online survey for people to fill out to see what people want to have at the student track. Previously we have had a separate lunch and afternoon session for students on Saturday. There was a motion to have a 2-5 pm Saturday session for students but to have lunch with the entire convention because lunch is now included in the convention fee for Saturday. The motion passed.
In terms of student activities for convention we have had suggestions for:
Bead work
Pottery
Technology presentations particularly for Apple accessibility
Presentation on wood work
Paratransit presentation by James Benton
If you have any additional ideas please let Justin Salisbury or another board member know.

U-Improving-U Seminar
The U-Improving-U Seminar has been postponed until the last weekend in October.
Convention will be in Atlanta.
There are some committees that everyone can get involved with for the seminar to help out but it is not necessary to be on a committee to go to the seminar. The committee list is on our list serve and contact Justin Salisbury with any questions about the seminar and/or committees.

Philosophy Question
If a coworker or classmate is uncomfortable with your blindness, what can you do to make them more comfortable about it.

Meeting Adjourned at 10:27 pm.

---

Thanks,

Kevin