[Ncabs] White Cane Day announcement

Alan A. Chase aachase1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 00:13:48 UTC 2013

October 15 is national White Cane Day, and the Governor Morehead
School PTA has coordinated with Mayor Nancy McFarlane of Raleigh who
has gladly agreed to issue an official proclamation to recognize this
special day.  At 1 p.m. on October 15, in the Raleigh City Council
chambers, the mayor will officially issue the proclamation.

We anticipate inviting news media to be present.  We would encourage
folks all over NC to request similar proclamations from their local
officials to also recognize White Cane Day in many more locations.

In addition, at the Governor Morehead School on October 15 in our
auditorium, we'll have an assembly from 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. to
celebrate White Cane Day.  We anticipate having a large group of folks
present, including our students and staff, many additional
representatives from the blindness community, and many of the Wake
Young Women's Leadership Academy students and staff who share the GMS
campus.  If you are in Raleigh at that time, you are welcome to come
to our auditorium for the program.  We hope to get lots of publicity
for White Cane Day and thus make the general public more aware of
safety issues faced daily by visually impaired and blind travelers.

--
Alan A. Chase, M.Ed.
Special Education Teacher, Wake County Public School System