[Ncabs] S. 1356

sharon_newton sharon_newton at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 30 23:39:43 UTC 2013

Hello everyone!

This e-mail is to ask that you remind chapter members, family, friends, and colleagues to call or e-mail their senators to communicate their concerns about S. 1356 (reauthorization of WIA).  We need to ask for the following:

1.  Removal of Section 51 from the Rehabilitation Act.
2.  Removal of language that moves RSA to the Department of Labor.

  Please ask for an e-mail response (one other than an auto reply) or call back.  We have had a few appointments with senatorial aides, but our senators need to hear from as many of us as possible.  Each and every e-mail and call is very important.

Please remember to thank Senator Burr for his "no" vote when this bill was before the HELP Committee.  He was one of only three "no" votes.  His vote was based on his opinion that he did not know how these proposed changes were going to affect people with disabilities.  He said that the committee had not had enough time to study the issues.  It is up to us to educate him and Senator Hagan on just how detrimental the proposed changes would be for people with disabilities.

Chapter presidents:  If you have not yet discussed the bill with your chapter members, National's analysis is an excellent resource for detailing the issues involved.  Let us keep our e-mails and calls brief but specific, focusing on why the proposed changes will be detrimental.    The appropriate e-mail links and phone numbers are below.  When you call in to the offices, please ask to be connected to Margaret Lawrynowics (Senator Hagan's office) or Steve Perrotta (Senator Burr's office).  These two people handle labor issues.

Senator Hagan's office:

margaret_lawrynowicz at hagan.senate.gov
Phone:  202-224-6342

Senator Burr's office:

steve_perrotta at help.senate.gov

Phone:  202-224-5134

Thanks to all of you.  With each of us doing his or her part, we can put a stop to these proposed changes that, if passed, will negatively affect people for decades to come.

If you have questions please call me at 704-334-8758.

Sharon Newton