[Ncabs] JAWS Scam Alert

sharon_newton sharon_newton at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 5 17:01:30 UTC 2014

Thanks Alan.  Sharon Newton
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan A. Chase" <aachase1 at gmail.com>
To: "North Carolina Association of Blind Students List" <ncabs at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2014 12:30 PM
Subject: [Ncabs] JAWS Scam Alert

This information was passed along to us this morning via our friends
at Rehab and LBPH, and we wanted to make everyone aware of it.

An individual received a phone call from a man who said that the
individual's copy of JAWS has caused a virus in his computer.  The man
would repair the computer if the individual could simply turn it on,
go to a specified site (my caller could not remember where) and type
in a few numbers.  He immediately knew something was not right and did
not turn on his computer nor comply in any way with the person.  The
person gave him a call back number, which was 347-871-5995. That
number is all over the Internet as a scam.  The part that causes the
most concern is that the individual who reported this incident was
identified as a JAWS user by the scammer.  It is not known if a
Freedom Scientific database was hacked or what, but it is important
for everyone to have a "head's up" about this.  Most may know not to
do anything, but some may be naïve and think there truly is a problem.

--
Alan A. Chase, M.Ed.
Exceptional Children Program Facilitator, Durham Public Schools