[Ncabs] Google Drive/Google Docs

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:54:51 UTC 2014

In my experience, JAWS is really not great with Google apps, and from
going to CSUN, I have learned that Freedom Scientific is the problem;
JAWS is actually quite archaic in the way it interacts with web pages
which is totally not suited for the exploding interactive web. Anyway,
I intend to explore using NVDA, a free screen reader, with Google
apps. I have heard that VO works better as well.

I think this is a super bumber since almost anyone who is a product of
state-funded services and not motivated to learn alternative screen
readers on ones own was probably exclusively trained in JAWS. I would
love to see more NFB-funded Google trainings and advocacy that state
agencies start offering trainings on Google apps and devices. They are
more affordable, and exploding in education settings. I think that
part of the problem is a lack of qualified trainers expert enough in
Google accessibility to provide training, but I think that shouldn't
stop us from trying. Google has vastly improved their documentation,
but sometimes, it is nice to just sit down with someone and get some
training.

Cindy