[Ncabs] Google Hangouts

Shickeytha Chandler via Ncabs ncabs at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 15:15:48 UTC 2014

I think Brice makes some very valid points. However, if I may play
devil's advocate for a moment (smile) I would like to point out that
there are some advantages of introducing NCABS members to new
technology, such as Google Hangouts, through these conference calls.
It gives people who are new to the technology a "safe" environment to
explore the program, ask questions and hopefully learn some things
about accessibility that might be useful to them in their classes. For
instance, suppose a professor says to the class "We are going to have
a discussion about X Y Z on Google Hangouts Thursday night." If a
blind student has never used the service previously, they might feel
overwhelmed. However, if they have learned to use it as a result of
doing conference calls with NCABS, then they would feel confident
about their ability to participate fully in their class discussion. So
while Brice does make a good point that you don't want to overwhelm
prospective participants, that also raises the question of whether it
would be less overwhelming for them to learn the Hangouts platform
through NCABS as opposed to when they are under a tight deadline for a
class assignment. Having said that, I honestly don't know how much
professors use services like Hangouts, as I am entering graduate
school after being out of college for several years. But if it is
commonly used, it could be good to introduce folks to Hangouts via the
conference calls. Just my two cents worth!