[Ncabs] Google Hangouts

Travis Sherrill via Ncabs ncabs at nfbnet.org
Sat May 17 14:18:06 UTC 2014

Hello All:

Let me answer some of the questions raised on the list today:

As far as the mobile applications for Google Hangouts, I have not used them
much at all.  You have to download the Google+ application and then download
the Hangouts application.  Again, I haven't used it that much.

I created this tutorial as a staff development training for the Davidson
College library.  All of the employees are sighted so I didn't want to give
them key commands when they are merely used to clicking a mouse.  In saying
that, everything is fully accessible.  The menus are easily readable.  I'm
using JAWS and Mozille Firefox.

When creating your Google+ account, for example, when creating your account
and selecting let's say your date of birth, you have to go down to the combo
box or the drop down menu and hit the enter key.  This will allow you to
arrow down to your particular date of birth.

In terms of how popular Google Hangouts is in an academic landscape, it all
depends.  If a particular school (UNCG) is the school I'm attending, is
using Gmail as the email service, then schools are using Hangouts as opposed
to some other video conferencing tools because it is free and they already
have access to it through the Gmail email service.

I'm willing to answer further questions.

Thanks

Travis