[Nd-talk] Access to Technology and Resources Fair and Convention

Jesse Shirek jesseshirek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 11:35:05 UTC 2017

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Jesse Shirek, Treasurer and Sherry Shirek, Secretary
Co-Chairpersons Events Committee
Access to Technology and Resources Fair and Convention

In recent years, I have been on a life journey with my wife Sherry to find a
place in our lives that fits with our personal values, fulfills our passion
for life, and that motivates us to reach our highest potential in a
nurturing, supportive environment. We have made some pretty major changes in
order to continue on our path. Sherry has been driven by the open arms of
the arts community to join her on a mission to create programs and provide
accommodations for people of all abilities to access art exhibits, theater
and cultural events. Through her work, she has had the opportunity to form
close friendships and make connections with like-minded people in the
community. She found her place in both North Dakota and Minnesota where her
experience, knowledge and expertise is valued by her colleagues in the arts
community. I have found my place in the community as an Assistive Technology
Instructor, working as a consultant  in North Dakota and Eastern Minnesota.
Recently , I  have been given the opportunity through grant funding, to do
something I never thought I could, because my vision is so limited. I am a
self-taught graphic designer and website developer. This work is fulfilling
my passion and hunger for knowledge, where there is always something new to
learn.

Last March I was sent to the National Federation of the Blind National
Center at the Jernigan Institute in Baltimore. The purpose of my visit was
to learn about the NFB philosophy, branding, communications and marketing.
This 2-day seminar really blew me away! I was pleased at the organized
sessions and professionalism. The one thing that really stuck with me is the
philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind and the direction our
organization is moveing. "Live the life you want" "Love, hope and
determination" The NFB and the federation family is a place where we feel
accepted for who we are, valued for our skills and abilities, and nurtured
so we can reach our highest potential and help others do the same. Our mind
set is one that blindness does not stop us from living the life we want. We
believe that all blind people deserve the chance to reach their highest
potential and have opportunities to be taught the skills and given the tools
to do so.

This week I am headed back to Baltimore to learn about the Droupal platform,
which is widely used by federation affiliates including North Dakota. I am
looking forward to returning to the National Center to learn all that I can
while there, meet more like-minded people and bring information back home.

 Sherry and I are enthusiastic about growing the National Federation of the
Blind of North Dakota. We have been given support from our neighbors in
Minneapolis and nationally. We encourage, support and will help all of you
on your journey to independence if you choose. We will spread love, hope and
determination in our everyday lives and live with passion and enthusiasm. We
are here to guide you to the life that you want to live by leading you to
the resources that have the tools for you to take one step at a time. We all
started somewhere and moved forward at our own pace. You too can move
forward one step at a time.

On September 15th and 16th we invite you to join the National Federation of
the Blind of North Dakota for our Access to Technology and resource Fair and
Convention! The festivities will take place at the Ramada Inn (formally
Baymont Inn) 3333 13th Ave S in Fargo.

Together with our federation family you can visit with vendors, attend
workshops and breakout sessions, connect with other blind and low vision
individuals of all ages and interests. You can attend the rehabilitation and
blindness services panel at 2PM with Superintendent, NDVS SB Paul Olson, ND
DVR Fargo Regional Manager Curt Markel, and Executive Director, BLIND Inc.
Dan Wenzel. At 9AM our keynote speaker, President of the World Blind Union
Dr. Fred Schroder will start us off!

 Registration is free and begins at 8AM on the 15th. A schedule of workshops
and presentations will be available at registration and on the NFBND.org
website in the near future. You can pick and choose what interests you the
most.

To attend the state convention on the 16th, you will be asked during
registration to RSVP and pay the $25 for registration and the banquet
luncheon.

For any questions, please feel welcome to contact Jesse 701-781-2526
jesseshirek at gmail.com <mailto:jesseshirek at gmail.com> ; Sherry 701-781-3055
sherrybeth7 at gmail.com <mailto:sherrybeth7 at gmail.com>

We hope to see you along with all blind and low vision people of all ages,
families, students, seniors, parents, teachers and all professionals in the
field of blindness. Please encourage your friends and neighbors to attend.
There is something for everyone to learn.