[Nd-talk] NEWSWIRE Vol. 1, No. 15

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:06:12 UTC 2017

NEWSWIRE

National Federation of the Blind of

North Dakota

Vol. 1, No. 15

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years

>From the desk of the President of the NFB of ND:

I want to take this opportunity to wish all of you a safe but also a joyous
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years. 2018 will be an even better year with
many exciting things to happen and great things to look forward too. You
will need to be regularly reading these NEWSWIRE that have no specific time
for when they are published. So stay tuned!

Holiday Cheers

If you weren't there on Saturday, December 9, at the Holiday Inn Gallary
Restaurant, you missed out on the good fellowship, fun, food and grab bag
exchange. Jesse and Milton also brought their guitars and we sang a few
Christmas songs--what's a party without singing some Christmas Carols! We
had around 11 of us there and we had two people who made the commitment to
become members of the National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota.
WELCOME!

NEXT MEETING

Our January 2018 meeting will be on Saturday, the 13th at Happy Joe's Pizza
and Ice Cream, 2511 South University Drive, Fargo, ND. Meeting will begin at
2:00 PM and plan to arrive early to give yourself time to eat there before
the meeting begins. We should be done by 4 PM. For those scheduling rides
with MAT Paratransit, schedule your ride accordingly. If you have questions,
please call Milton at (701) 731-0511.

REMINDERS!

Because of our Christmas Party, we dispensed with our regular meeting agenda
but President Riccobono did put out a Presidential Release #467 which can be
listened to at the following URL:

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/podcast/presidential-releases-en/pr467.mp3

You may have to rejoin the lines of the URL.

Also, there are very informative articles that are in the December issue of
the Braille Monitor with especially important information about Social
Security benefits for 2018.

If you are planning to attend the 2018 national convention in Orlando,
florida from July 3-8, for the first time, there is information on how to
apply and the deadline is March 31, 2018.

You can begin making hotel reservations after January 1, 2018 and
information can be found on the NFB website. Online registration for the
convention will open on March 1 and close on May 31.

NOTe: This will be the last year going to Orlando Florida.

And Lastly, On November 1, the prestigious national scholarship program of
the National Federation of the Blind applications opened and will close on
March 31.

Washington Seminar

The 2018 Washington Seminar is beginning to shape up and will be held from
January 29 to February 1, 2018. Headquarters hotel is the Holiday Inn
Capitol and it will begin with a Legislative Seminar on Monday morning at 9
AM go to Noon and then reconvene at 2 PM. The Great Gathering will begin at
5 PM.

Then, on Tuesday evening every Senator and Representative will be invited to
join the members of the NFB at a reception beginning at 6:30 PM at the
NEWSEUM, 1555 Pennsylvania Ave. NW

If you ar thinking about going, you are responsible for your own air travel
arrangements and hotel reservation. Sorry, the affiliate doesn't have

Adequate funds to help with travel expenses.

Your president will be going as he will be attending a Affiliate Presidents'
Seminar to be held in Baltimore prior to the Washington Seminar. I'm still
working on trying to secure appointments with the two Senators and one
Representative from North Dakota.

Schwan Food Care Fundraiser

A new period of earning 20% to all purchases for the next 45-days began on
December 5. You can get great frozen foods delivered right to your door and
it is very simple and easy! To help us, you can order online at
https://use.postageapp.com/l/11344aed0d67a235acbd4965a1daf1fa1c53e675/8b95f6
1d524c49e8c09e2da797742c0c35a0d496 at schwanscares.mailer.postageapp.com/-/www.
schwans-cares.com/c/36091 or call toll-free 36091
<https://use.postageapp.com/l/11344aed0d67a235acbd4965a1daf1fa1c53e675/8b95f
61d524c49e8c09e2da797742c0c35a0d496 at schwanscares.mailer.postageapp.com/-/www
.schwans-cares.com/c/36091%20or%20call%20toll-free%2036091>

Or call Toll-Free 1-855-870-7208 (to set up and Account if you don't already
have one) and provide the campaign ID: 33644.

Currently, this is the only means we are raising funds to build the NFB of
ND treasury. Over the past year, we have raised over $1,000.00 and to
adequately fund activities and programs of the affiliate we need to have
over $10,000.00 annually to meet our program needs.

CONTRIBUTIONS

If you have a story about how you "live the life you want", and want to
share it with the members and friends of the NFB of ND, please send them to
President Milton via e-mail to mota1252 at gmail.com
<mailto:mota1252 at gmail.com>  NO Advertisements, please.

Please feel free to distribute this newsletter to anyone that might be
interested in its entirety.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this periodic NEWSWIRE and
hope you enjoyed reading the information provided.

Sincerely,

Milton Ota, President

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Web: http://nfbnd.org/

909 8th St., S.

Fargo, ND 58103-2723

Cell: (701) 731-0511

E-mail: mota1252 at gmail.com

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
EXPECTATIONS

OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES BETWEEN BLIND
PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT; BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT
HOLDS

YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION
SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND--IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR OURSELVES.

With Love, Hope and Determination, We Turn Dreams Into Reality.

Together We Change What It Means to Be Blind.