[Nd-talk] NFB of North Dakota NEWSWIRE, Vol 2, No. 19

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 22:00:00 UTC 2018

NEWSWIRE

National Federation of the Blind of

North Dakota

Vol. 2, No. 19

Upcoming Meeting

Our next meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota
will be on Saturday, May 12, 2018 from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM. We will meet at
Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream, 2511 South University Drive, Fargo, North
Dakota 58103.

The conference line will be open for those who cannot make the meeting in
Fargo. The number to call is: (712) 832-8300 and the room ID is 9381122 #

IMPORTANT NOTE TO MEMBERS OF THE BOARD: We have only the May and June
meetings left to take the vote on the National Federation of the Blind,
"Code of conduct" for the affiliate. As a general practice the National
Federation does not encourage proxy voting for such important matters, such
as this; which means your presence on either phone or in-person is very
important. President Riccobono has ask that this be completed by the end of
June.

Marrakesh Treaty Update:

On Wednesday, April 18, the US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations will be
holding a hearing regarding the Marrakesh Treaty. The hearing will be held
at 10:30 a.m. in the Senate Dirksen Office Building, room 419. Scott LaBarre
will be testifying on behalf of the National Federation of the Blind. Those
in the local area who are available should consider attending. The hearing
will also be live-streamed at
https://www.foreign.senate.gov/hearings/treaties-041818.

KNFB Reader - Stay Tuned

To all KNFB Reader who use the app on an i-device: A major update will be
release in the next week or so. There are major changes to the app and if
you are needing help to getting started after downloading and installing the
app, you can contact Milton at (701) 731-0511.

Coming Soon to an iPhone

Envision America is currently beta testing with a small group of beta
testers ScripTalk for the iPhone. No final release date has been announced.
This is something that people have been asking for for a long time so stay
tuned.

AIRA

AIRA, what is this? An app that allows you to connect with a live person via
your cell phone. The person on the other end can help you with many
different array of things like reading the hand writing on the outside of an
envelope, help you assemble something that you baught, read signs, etc.,
especially when there is no sighted help nearby. The app is free for iPhone
and Android devices but there is a subscription charge.don't want to
subscribe, you can get a Guest account and use the service wherever there is
free site access with just using the camera on your phone. What is really
cool is if both members of a household are blind you can set up a shared
account.

For ALL aIRA subscribers and guest, there will be free site access from July
3 to July 8 which is during the week of the NFB National Convention in
Orlando, Florida and the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel and convention Center.
Download the app before you leave for Orlando.

For NFB members only, you can sign up for a monthly subscription of $99.99
per month which will also get you the special glasses with a camera mounted
on the glasses so you would have hands-free, which is useful when you are
carrying a bag in one hand and your cane or guide dog in the other. MUST
ADVISE all to get this pricing you must be a member in good standing and
your membership will be verified with the National Office.

To sign up go to http://aira.io/nfb of or call (858) 876-2472 to speak with
a company representative to get more information and/or sign up.

If you would like a demonstration of the service, you can also contact
Milton at (701) 731-0511 or send an e-mail to arrange a time for the
demonstration. There is no obligation and Milton does not get anything for
this.

This is all that I have for now as it has been a while since I sent out a
NEWSWIRE. Happy reading and enjoy!

Please feel free to pass along this newsletter to anyone you know that might
be interested in the National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota.

Sincerely,

Milton Ota, President

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Web: http://nfbnd.org/

909 8th St., S.

Fargo, ND 58103-2723

Cell: (701) 731-0511

E-mail: mota1252 at gmail.com

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
EXPECTATIONS

OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES BETWEEN BLIND
PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT; BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT
HOLDS

YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION
SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND--IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR OURSELVES.

With Love, Hope and Determination, We Turn Dreams Into Reality.

Together We Change What It Means to Be Blind.