[Nd-talk] NFB of North Dakota - Newswire - Vol 2, No. 2

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 21:38:23 UTC 2018

NEWSWIRE

National Federation of the Blind of

North Dakota

Volume 2, No. 2

NEXT MONTHLY MEETING

The next monthly meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of North
Dakota will be on Saturday, March 10, 2018 beginning at 2 PM and ending by 4
PM. We will be meeting at Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream, 2511 South
University Drive, Fargo, North Dakota.

There will be a conference line opened for those who are unable to make the
meeting by dialing (712) 832-8300 and entering the room ID 9381122 #

Should you have questions, call President Milton at (701) 731-0511 or e-mail
him with your questions to mota1252 at gmail.com <mailto:mota1252 at gmail.com>

SAVE THE DATE

I have secured a location for our 2018 State Convention, we will be meeting
on Saturday, September 8, 2018 at the Holiday Inn, 3803 13th Avenue South,
Fargo, North Dakota. At present you can plan for just a one-day convention.
The program/speakers have not yet been decided but if you have suggestions,
I would be open to hearing from you.

RIDE SHARE MONITORING - Thank You

Since the early part of May, 2017, Sherry Shirek has been great in reporting
good and bad experiences using Uber with her guide dog. Thank you SHERRY,
and keep up the good work!

CARDTRONIC - ATM Testing

During the month of September and the half month of October, we had an
opportunity to do testing for accessibility of ATM's manufactured by
CardTronic. I want to thank both JESSE and SHERRY for helping in this
testing as we have received a $500.00 check from the National Office for our
participation. Thank you JESSE and Sherry, good job.

CONGRATULATIONS

There is good news to report-Board member SHIRLEY ROBIDEAU moved to Moorhead
in December and requested rehab training through her vocational
rehabilitation counsolur and she is going to be attending BLIND, Inc.
(Blindness: Learning In New Dimensions) beginning in mid april. Her plans is
to later find her own place in the twin cities, so she will not be returning
to the Fargo-Moorhead area. Shirley has already submitted her resignation
from the National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota board effective
immediately. We all wish you the best in your new adventure, SHIRLEY.

HR 620 - Hope You All Heard!

EDITOR'S NOTE: The following comes from John Pare.

Colleagues:

This email provides an update on H.R. 620, the ADA Education and Reform Act.
The National Federation of the Blind, hundreds of other disability groups,
AARP, and Governor Tom Ridge all opposed HR 620. Nonetheless, the bill was
passed by the House of Representatives on Thursday, February 15, 2018. We
will now need to turn our attention to the Senate and urge every Senator to
oppose this legislation.

A detailed review of the House vote is provided below.

Thanks,

John

There are 435 members of Congress.

There are currently four unfilled seats:

AZ-8

MI-13

OH-12

PA-18

The vote was 225-192.

Rank breakers lists:

House Democrats who voted YEA (12)

Pete Aguilar (CA-31)

Ami Bera (CA-7)

Jim Cooper (TN-5)

Lou Correa (CA-46)

Henry Cuellar (TX-28)

Bill Foster (IL-11)

Scott Peters (CA-52)

Collini Peterson (MN-7)

Kathleen Rice (NY-4)

Kurt Schrader (OR-5)

Jackie Speier (CA-14)

Norma Torres (CA-35)

House Republicans who voted NAY (19)

Lou Barletta (PA-11)

Barbara Comstock (VA-10)

Ryan Costello (PA-6)

Mario Diaz-Balart (FL-25)

Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-8)

Jeff Fortenberry (NE-1)

Rodney Frelinghuysen (NJ-11)

Gregg Harper (MS-3)

John Katko (NY-24)

Leonard Lance (NJ-7)

Cathy McMorris Rodgers (WA-5)

Dave Reichert (WA-8)

Peter Roskam (IL-6)

Jim Sensenbrenner (WI-5)

Chris Smith (NJ-4)

Glenn Thompson (PA-5)

Kevin Yoder (KS-3)

Don Young (AK-at large)

David Young (IA-3)

Representatives who did not vote (13):

Democrats (8)

Karen Bass (CA-37)

Sanford Bishop (GA-2)

Jim Costa (CA-16)

Joe Courtney (CT-2)

Elijah Cummings (MD-7)

Ted Deutch (FL-21)

Luis Gutierrez (IL-4)

Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL-23)

Republicans (5)

Liz Cheney (WY-at large)

Jeff Duncan (SC-3)

Frank LoBiondo (NJ-2)

Steve Pearce (NM-2)

Hal Rogers (KY-5)

Currently, there is no bill in the Senate side of the house so lets hope
this dies.

2018 NFB SCHOLARSHIP

This is probably the last time you are going to hear me talk about the NFB
Scholarship-the deadline for applying is March 31, 2018. Thus far I have not
received notice of anyone applying for the Scholarship.

FIRST TIMERS SCHOLARSHIP

If you have never been to the convention of the National Federation of the
Blind and would like to go with some assistance from the Kenneth Jernigan
Fund, you have until April 15, 2018 to apply. This years national convention
will be in Orlando, Florida from July 3 to 8 at the Rosen Shingle Creek
Hotel. If you have questions see the December and January issues of the
Braille Monitor which can be found at https://www.nfb.org/

Sincerely,

Milton Ota, President

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Web: http://nfbnd.org/

909 8th St., S.

Fargo, ND 58103-2723

Cell: (701) 731-0511

E-mail: mota1252 at gmail.com

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
EXPECTATIONS

OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES BETWEEN BLIND
PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT; BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT
HOLDS

YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION
SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND--IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR OURSELVES.

With Love, Hope and Determination, We Turn Dreams Into Reality.

Together We Change What It Means to Be Blind.