[Nd-talk] Uber and Lift ride sharing survey

Sherry Shirek sherrybeth7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:49:40 UTC 2018

Greetings friends,

It's so hard to believe that Thanksgiving is upon us next week! Personally,
I have so much to be thankful for and I am sure many of you do too!

I am reaching out to all of you in search for guide dog users who use Uber
or Lift for travel.

I am the ride sharing coordinator for North Dakota and have traveled many
many times with my guide dog-Millie by Uber and Lift. I would like to share
with all of you that here in the Fargo/Moorhead area, for me, drivers are
much more welcoming and more educated on the laws than they were 2 years ago
when I first started this project. Many drivers have told me that they are
required to sign that they will transport service animals before they can
become a driver. Many drivers have also told me that they periodically
receive messages from the companies about the laws pertaining to service
dogs.

The National Federation of the Blind have structured negotiations with Uber
and Lift, therefore the policies are strict and refusal of transporting a
person with a guide dog or service animal is not tolerated, resulting in
revoking the driver's contract and no longer allowed to drive for the
company.

I would like to share with you that two years ago when I first started using
Uber and Lift, it felt a little uncomfortable. I have learned that the
service is much better and less expensive. I have also learned that it is
safe, clean and the driver and you the passenger are tracked by the app on
your phone. For me, I have become a regular user and only call taxi if
absolutely necessary - at times Uber or Lift are not available.

So, that is my good news for the day! I am not receiving anything for
coordinating this project for ND, nor do I get free rides. I complete the
surveys because I choose to participate. As a guide dog user for over 25
years, the refusal of a ride from taxi drivers over the years has been a
difficult challenge. It feels so great to have the National Federation of
the Blind ensuring that our civil rights are not violated when it comes to
using Uber and Lift.

If you or someone you know is a guide dog or service dog user, it would be
most helpful if you would share the information below and take our brief
survey.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

All the best, Sherry Shirek

.

*	Do you and your service animal have a Lyft or Uber trip you are
#Thankful for? Take our survey https://nfb.org/rideshare-test
*	Are you and your service animal using Lyft or Uber for Thanksgiving
travel? Don't forget to fill out our rideshare survey
https://nfb.org/rideshare-test

Thank you again for your help with this important project. If you haven't
yet, please take time to review the related webpages:
https://nfb.org/rideshare and https://nfb.org/rideshare-faq.

Sherry E. Shirek

Secretary & Legislative Director

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Voice/text 701-781-3055

Email  <mailto:sherrybeth7 at gmail.com> sherrybeth7 at gmail.com

www.nfbnd.org

With love, hope & determination, we change dreams into reality

blindness is not what holds you back

<https://m.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlindofNorthDakota/?ref=bookm
arks> Like us on Facebook