[Nebraska-senior-blind] NFBN Senior division March Meeting - and aNewsletter from Colorado, Senior division

Becky McCullough misscoffee at neb.rr.com
Tue Mar 17 00:04:54 UTC 2015

I don't think this new number works.
Becky
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robert Newman via Nebraska-senior-blind
  To: 0senior division listserv
  Sent: Friday, March 13, 2015 7:13 PM
  Subject: [Nebraska-senior-blind] NFBN Senior division March Meeting - and aNewsletter from Colorado, Senior division

  Greetings!

  RE: Getting ready for our Monday March 16 meeting

  *#1 Info about the call

  *#2 About last meeting’s minutes, and our constitution

  *#3 Agenda

  *#4 A Newsletter from Colorado Senior division

  *#1 And so here is what you need to know to join us for our meeting:

  The date: Monday the 16th

  The time for the call: 7:00 CT; 6:00 MT

  The phone number you will dial: 267-507-0400

  Access code: 203747Pound

  *#2 Here is a second chance to read the attached minutes from our February 2nd meeting. If you have any corrections or additions, email them to, both me and Karen Lemmon. And be ready to discuss and approve them.

  Also, at this month’s meeting, we need to review and ready our amended constitution to be sent off and approved; see attachment. (Firstly, talking through the required steps to make this process legal.)

  *#3 Agenda:

  -First- Come-to-order, say our  NFB Pledge (see below and let us make sure we do this!)

  -Next- Reports Will be discussed and approved (Secretary & Treasurers)

  -Next- Old business, which will be a review of our proposed changes for the constitution.

  -Next- New business, uncertain at this time; so bring it on.

  -Finally- brags & drags

  -Adjournment

  NFB Pledge:

        I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

  Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for

  the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to

  abide by its constitution.

  *#4 Below is the February Newsletter for The Colorado Senior division

  FEBRUARY, 2015

  SENIORS IN CHARGE NEWSLETTER

  Connecting Blind Seniors Across Colorado

         Blindness and Self Perception

  By Phyllis Chavez

  It is my belief that we are here for a purpose, a reason to live.  We , as blind people, have been given this gift of blindness for a reason.  We are not brave, not tragic or helpless.  We are here to teach others in the sighted world.

  I have been blind since I was born a “preemie.”  All my life I was protected, was felt sorry for and was cared for.  I did not accept my blindness till now.  I am finding that I am capable, that I can learn, and I can do!

  Growing up, being partially sighted or low vision meant you had some vision but not enough.  Blindness is a physical inconvenience.  We have our minds and our hearts to make a difference.  What we look like on the outside, the color of our skin, blindness, deafness, or in a wheelchair, we should, as Dr. King said, be judged by the content of our character.

  So when we speak out for our blind selves, think of it as a gift that we are giving to the sighted world. To teach and educate the sighted world is our platform.  So, go out there and show them with positivity and strength and with words.

  It starts with our own self-perception.  As an example, look at Helen Keller.  She had a beautiful spirit and a wonderful mind.  It shows anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

  Your journey of blindness starts with you, but no one stands alone.  We are here to support and cheer each other on as we go through this journey.

  They say the eyes are the windows to the soul, but I think that our spirits, our minds and our hearts are windows to the soul.

          ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  Can You Reach Out?

  At the Colorado Center for the Blind, we like to do “outreach.”  So what does that mean?  We try to let others know that there is help, there are resources, and there are solutions to the various challenges that people have when they begin to, or have already lost some or all of their sight.  That is the main purpose of this newsletter.

  We have reached you, but we know there are many others who could also benefit from the information we are all sharing.  If you have a friend, neighbor, family member or acquaintance with any sight loss, please feel free to pass along the contact and other information in the newsletter.

  You too can reach out and give hope to others!

          ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  I NEEDED A LOT MORE LIGHT

  TO DRIVE BY NIGHT (part 2)

  By John Batron

  If you recall from John’s story “Part 1” in our October 2014 issue, the doctors did not know what was wrong with John’s eyes as a child.  He determined that he was night blind at the age of 15 but by the time he was ready to get married he still did not have a firm diagnosis.  Please read “Part 2” of John’s story:

  In 1967, John marries Amelia.  He thinks his eyes need to be checked once more, so off to the eye Doc once more!  This time the Doctor not only goes “Gah, Gah,” but tells us what I have, not “crap,” but R. P., Retinitis Pigmentosa.  It still spelled “crap” to me.  He said I couldn’t pass it on to my kids…more “crap!”

              In 1970, Brent was born.  I continued to work and drive.  In 1976, I gave up driving; and in 1980, work gave up on me.  It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I didn’t have to worry how I was going to get to work or home again, but it also meant I got to make up for missed time with my son.  I was now there for Little League, scouts, camping and fishing.  Being home with my boy was well worth the loss of income.  In the Fall, he went back to school. I bought a table saw!  Woodworking is my passion.  It didn’t take long before I was making money at what I loved.

              In 1990, I learned braille and joined the N.F.B. (National Federation of the Blind).  Both have made quite an impact on my life…Braille, because I was never a reader.  But, after I learned it, I read all the Harry Potter books in Braille.

              In 2006, we moved from Maine to Colorado. We now have 5 grandchildren – thanks Brent, thanks Ena.  I graduated in 2011 from the Colorado Center for the Blind  (C.C.B.) Independence Training Program (I.T.P.), and received my Freedom Bell!  I consider it one of the greatest achievements in my life.

              Right now I volunteer teaching braille to the “Seniors in Charge” at the Colorado Center for the Blind, and am loving every minute of it.  Not bad for an old fella, “A?”  I have been rock climbing, ZIP lining, and yes, I have even driven a car as a blind person, and it was great!  I believe that blindness should not be the reason you don’t live a full life.  Other than seeing all the 50 states, I want to go down the Grand Canyon on the back of a burro, and you can bet I won’t be the first blind person to have done it, nor will I be the last.  I will let you all know when!

              So, don’t give up your dreams just because you can’t see as well as you used to.  You’ve still “Got It!” And, you have our support 100%!

        ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  Learn How to Take Down the Big Guys!!

  In the Fall of 2014, several members of the Senior Groups at the Colorado Center for the Blind, began a self-defense class called “One Touch.” This particular class is meant for the blind and visually impaired, and teaches techniques that can be used when someone touches them.  Once the person has put a hand on you, you have the opportunity to use these techniques to possibly gain the upper hand!

              One way to learn self defense is to practice with someone who is bigger than you.  Gary and Dale were two of the big guys in the class.  Dale commented, “Gary is too strong.” One of our participants was 95 year old Marie, who is not quite 5 foot tall. However she was determined to learn, so she requested a bigger partner to work with.  “You don’t  just flee or freeze – you turn around and handle them!” When Gary, who is over 6 feet, heard that, he decided he’d better stay away from her.  Even our instructor Scott said, “I won’t mess with Marie – she’ll lay me down flat!”

              We learned some good moves, did warm up exercises, became more confident and even had fun being a part of the class.

          ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  We Want to Hear From YOU!

  Have you developed any special tricks or skills as a blind person that you find useful for cooking or housecleaning?

  How do you crack an egg and avoid getting the

  shell pieces in your food?

  What method do you use to sweep the floor?

  We welcome your tips, tricks and suggestions, because sharing is a great way to help one another!

  AND, by submitting your tips or questions, you will be automatically entered in the drawing to win a Free Braille Chocolate Bar--see below.

  ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

              We will continue to hold drawings for Braille Chocolate bars, to encourage all Colorado Seniors with any vision impairment, to take part in this Colorado Senior Newsletter!

              We know you all have experiences, challenges and successes dealing with vision loss.  By sharing your ideas, questions or stories, you will be helping others.

              To be eligible for the drawing, you only need to contact Duncan Larsen at the Colorado Center for the Blind at (303) 778-1130 X226 with questions, suggestions, comments,  stories or other articles of interest for the Seniors In Charge Newsletter.  You also need to let us know that you’d like to be included in the Braille Chocolate bar drawing, and give us your contact information so we can send you your prize if you are a winner!

  The current winner of a Braille Chocolate bar is

  Susie Drum!

  Congratulations and thanks for participating!

  ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  We would like to hear from the Colorado Chapters of the NFB.  You are all doing important work, and we’d like to share your ideas and successes with other Colorado Seniors.

  Please send us a brief article about your groups’ activities.  If you do, you’ll also be eligible for a Braille Chocolate Bar!

  ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  The Blind Can Teach the Sighted

  At the Senior program of the Colorado Center for the Blind, we have learned from the NFB and from experience that one of the biggest problems for the blind is not blindness, but the attitudes of others toward us.  We want to help! And we hope you will join us!

  We are distributing Kernel books, which have personal stories of blindness plus an introduction by our past National Federation of the Blind presidents – Dr. Jernigan or Dr. Mauer.  In each book we have placed a braille alphabet card with information about CCB and a list of the Courtesy Rules of Blindness.  We are taking these books with us and leaving them in waiting rooms everywhere: in Doctors offices, clinics, libraries, hotels, barber and beauty shops, and any public place or business we are going to that has a waiting room!  If possible, it’s courteous to ask the receptionist if it’s ok to leave them.  You may also pass them along to friends, family and neighbors, and even read them yourselves or have someone read to you.

  We have heard the saying about “the blind leading the blind.”  Now it’s time for the blind to reach out and teach the sighted!  This does not have to cost you any money, and the time spent working on it is minimal since the places you leave the books are places you are already going to! This is something all of us can do!

  We can send you some of these books or you can order them free from the NFB.  If you would like more information you may call Estelle at

  303-789-7538, or the Senior program at CCB: 303-778-1130.  Thank you.

         ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  Who was Newell Perry

  From the NFB & “Blind Justice” by Floyd Matson

  You may have heard the name of Jacobus tenBroek before, He was the founder of the National Federation of the Blind in 1940.  However that was not the beginning of the movement to organize the blind and teach them independence.  This and similar goals of education, freedom and equality for all, had its beginnings in various ways through history.

  One man in particular played an important role in these movements, and was, as well, a mentor, teacher and leader to the blind.  His name was Newell Perry. Dr. Perry was born in 1873.  At the age of 8, he had been blinded as a result of a case of poison oak, which caused his eyes to swell and burst, leaving him in a coma for a month.

  As a young blind man who was denied entrance to a university, he had as a supporter and financial benefactor, Warring Wilkinson, who was the first principal of the California State School for the Deaf and Blind.  Wilkinson saw the potential in Perry and became his mentor and friend as well.

  Newell Perry became a math professor and was called "Doctor" by his students.  At one time, he expelled Jacobus tenBroek from high school for being incorrigible.  TenBroek did eventually finish high school, and Dr. Perry became his financial backer when he needed funds and support to be admitted to college.

  Earlier, Perry had devoted himself to further education, served as a teaching fellow, an assistant and then instructor of mathematics.  He studied in Europe, securing a doctorate of philosophy in math with highest honors.  In spite of his accumulated knowledge degrees and honors, when he returned to the United States in 1902, he experienced 10 years of struggle and denial to attain a university position to teach.  He had mailed letters and applications to 500 institutions, but was denied the positions because of his blindness.

  As frustrated and discouraged as he was, he did not become embittered but came to understand what he would dedicate his life to.  Dr. Perry returned to the California School for the Blind to teach, and became a primary mover in securing legal, constitutional, and educational equality, as well as employment and the very basic necessities of life for the blind. He also led the education of society to accept the blind in terms of normality and equality instead of charity and custody.  Dr. Perry was the president of the California Council for the Blind which began in 1934, until he retired in 1953.

  Dr. Newell Perry taught his many students and followers that not to become organized led only to disorganization.  He lived to his 80s as a lifelong friend, supporter and mentor to many blind people including Jacobus. tenBroek.

         ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  Would You Like a Pen Pal or Braille Buddy?

  Adrijana Prokopenko is a blind teacher who lives in Macedonia.  She has developed a free electronic magazine for the blind who want to make friends by e-mail and other social media and even by Braille.  The magazine comes weekly to your e-mail address.  At this time there are over 600 blind members from all over the world.  Adrijana works hard to advertise in places where spammers do not go.

        ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  Did You Know?

  ……….that several countries put tactile markings on their currency so that the visually impaired can differentiate the bills from one another?  India, Canada, Israel and Russia do that!  In Canada, they don’t use regular Braille, but conferred with the visually impaired community to devise a code to use on the paper money!

         ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  Valentine’s Day Recipe

  VALENTINE KISSES

  Ingredients

  ◦                  1 cup butter, softened

  ◦                  1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

  ◦                  1/8 teaspoon salt

  ◦                  2 teaspoons cherry juice

  ◦                  1/4 teaspoon almond extract

  ◦                  2 1/4 cups flour

  ◦                  1/2-3/4 cup chopped or crushed maraschino cherry

  ◦                  1 cup granulated or decorator sugar ( as needed)

  ◦                           12 ounces Hershey chocolate kisses (1 per cookie)

  Directions

  -Beat butter, add sugar and salt. Beat in cherry liquid and almond extract. Beat in flour. Fold in cherries.

  -Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes (you don't have to, but dough is easier to work with when cold).

  -Roll dough into balls, coat in sugar and place on cookie sheet. These cookies will flatten on their own, but I typically put a thumb print in the center to flatten some.

  -Bake at 325 degrees for 14 minutes. Let cool on pan for 1-2 minutes.

  -Add Hershey Kiss to center of the cookies.  (Cookies should still be warm so chocolate can melt into the cookie).

  -Transfer to wire rack to cool.

  Makes 24-36 cookies

  ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘ ⌘

  Do you own a Perkins Brailler that doesn’t seem to perform properly? We have a gentleman in Denver who can clean and repair your Brailler for a very reasonable charge. If you live outside of Denver,

  he may still be able to help you.

  For more information, please call Kirk McCall at 303-274-4640.

  For questions about senior services, please contact:

  Duncan Larsen

  Director of Senior Services

  dlarsen at cocenter.org

  (303) 778-1130 X226

  2233 W Shepperd Ave

  Littleton CO 80120

  Respectfully yours,

  Robert Leslie Newman

  President, NFBN Senior division

  The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.

  Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.

  You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back