[Nebraska-senior-blind] NFBN Senior Division at Convention - Convention Agenda is Here!

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Sat Sep 24 11:20:19 UTC 2016

Hi you All

Below and attached is the 2016 Convention Agenda - If you have not received
the agenda from our affiliate listserv, then take a look; see when our
meeting is happening! (And if you are not on the Affiliate Listserv.you need
to be, and let me know if you are not and I'll get you on.)

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA

45th ANNUAL STATE CONVENTION

OCTOBER 7-9 2016

Ramada Columbus and River's Edge Convention Center

Columbus, Nebraska

National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska
Amy Buresh, President
1033 O Street, Suite 24B
Lincoln, NE 68508
Phone: (402) 477-7711
Web Site:  <http://www.ne.nfb.org/> http://www.ne.nfb.org

ABOUT THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA

blindness is not what holds you back.  Together with love, hope, and
determination, we transform dreams into reality.

STAY CONNECTED AND IN THE KNOW!

Follow the National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska on Twitter! Visit
<http://www.twitter.com/nfbn> http://www.twitter.com/nfbn

Like us on Facebook

<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fnebraskasblin
d&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFrjiHXakUTnq8GE1UJdsXPtkfLDg>
https://www.facebook.com/nebraskasblind

Stay connected with your fellow Nebraska Federationists by joining our state
e-mail listserv. This list allows you to receive affiliate and national
announcements. To sign up, visit  <http://www.nfbnet.org/> www.nfbnet.org.

Visit us online at  <http://www.ne.nfb.org/> http://www.ne.nfb.org.

EXHIBITS

Vendors will be here Friday from 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM and Saturday from 9:00
AM to Noon to demonstrate their products.

The following is a partial list of exhibitors and sponsors:

Nebraska Association of Transportation Professionals, Empowerment Level
Sponsor

National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska, Exhibitor

National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska, Omaha Chapter, Exhibitor

National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska, Lincoln Chapter, Exhibitor

On The Go, Exhibitor

Secretary of State's Office, Exhibitor

Ski for Light, Exhibitor

Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Empowerment Level Sponsor

Note: This year we will once again be conducting a special prize drawing for
all those who can prove that they have visited all the exhibitors. You will
be given a card in your registration packet which each exhibitor needs to
punch. If your card is complete, it will go into the hat for a special
drawing Sunday morning. Must be present to win.

Friday, October 7, 2016

9:30 A.M. to 10:45 A.M.: Registration. Mike Hansen, Convention Arrangements
Chair

Registration Costs
Registration: $25
Banquet: $50
Friday Fun Luncheon: $25

All convention participants must register to be eligible for door prizes,
hotel convention rates, and to participate in convention activities. Both
print and braille agendas are available at the registration desk.

11:00 A.M to 2:00 P.M - General Session (including Friday Fun Luncheon)

2:30 P.M. to 8:00 P.M.: Exhibits

2:30 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.: 1TouchT Self-Defense: Jeff Altman, Facilitator.
Practical, effective and empowering, the National Federation of the Blind of
Nebraska is pleased to present an introduction to 1Touch Self-Defense. This
training will introduce the basic movements and concepts of the 1Touch
system, including One Touch, One Step, Releases, Feeds, Basic Locks,
Contouring, and Touch Strike. This seminar is your opportunity to learn
about this system of self-defense which can help you build the confidence
and techniques to effectively respond to the sort of unexpected situations
that could impact your personal safety.

2:30 P.M. to 4:00 P.M. Vanda Pharmaceuticals - Do you have trouble sleeping?
Come and get information on the non 24 medication that could change your
sleeping habits and your life.

2:30 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.: Navigating the Muddy Waters of Benefits: Raina
Gulbrandson, MSW, Community Work Incentives Coordinator Nebraska Work
Incentives Planning and Assistance (WIPA) Program Facilitator.  In this
presentation, you will learn about the cash and medical benefits associated
with disability, specifically, the entitlement and differences between SSI
(Supplemental Security Income) and SSDI (Social Security Disability
Insurance) and associated medical benefits, Medicare and Medicaid. Get an
introduction to the multitude of federal and state work incentives available
that support disability beneficiaries in returning to or advancing in the
workforce.

4:30 P.M. to 5:30 P.M.: Rookie Round-Up: Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter,
Facilitator.  If you are new to our convention, then I strongly urge you to
attend this event. You'll have a chance to meet and hear from Federation
leaders and learn first-hand who and what we are all about.

5:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M.: Registration-. Mike Hansen, Convention Arrangements
Chair

Registration Costs
Registration: $25
Banquet: $50
Friday Fun Luncheon: $25

All convention participants must register to be eligible for door prizes,
hotel convention rates, and to participate in convention activities. Both
print and braille agendas are available at the registration desk.

8:00 P.M.: Resolutions Committee: Barbara Loos, Resolutions Committee Chair

9:00 PM to 12:00 P.M. Trivia Night   Gather your smartest friends together
or come yourself and join a team. Show off your mental agility and win
something sweet! $5.00 entry fee per round (three rounds played) Top notch
items will be auctioned off in between trivia rounds. A cash bar will be
available Proceeds go to fund state and national legislative efforts.

Saturday, October 8, 2016

7:15 A.M.: Breakfast with the Board. Open to all, bring your meal and hear
from the board of directors. - Room.

8:30 A.M.: Nominating Committee (closed meeting)-Carol Jenkins, Nominating
Committee Chair

9:00 P.M. to 12:00 P.M.: Exhibits

9:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. - Appcast 2016: Brought to you jointly by the
Nebraska Association of Blind Students and the Nebraska Commission for the
Blind and Visually Impaired Tech Team.  Representatives from each
organization will be on hand to demo applications and answer any questions
you may have.  This s an "open event" so there is no need to register, just
show up.  Expect to see the KNFB Reader App, the Voice Dream Reader app and
more.

9:00 AM To 10:30 AM Senior Division Meeting

10:00 A.M to 11:30 A.M.  Blind Parents Discussion Group: Bridgit
Kuenning-Pollpeter, Facilitator

11:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. - NABS business meeting

2:00 PM to 5:00 - General Session

6:00 PM Banquet

Sunday, October 9, 2016

8:00 AM - Non-denominational Devotions