[Nebraska-senior-blind] June Minutes

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Mon Aug 14 15:16:54 UTC 2017

Good morning all,

Here's the minutes again, final document unless corrections are
made tonight.  I have inserted Cheryl's Treasurer's report where
she gave it, rather than recapping it and pasting her document at
the end.  Talk to many of you today.

Blessings,

Linda

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION
MEETING MINUTES
Monday, June 12, 2017

The National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska Senior Division
met by telephone conference on Monday, June 12, 2017.  President
Robert Newman called the meeting to order at 7:03 CDT.  Members
present were: President Robert Newman; Vice President Barbara
Loos, Secretary Linda Mentink, Treasurer Cheryl Livingston, Board
Member Nancy Oltman, Chris Boone, Gina Finnell, Walt Hively,
Geralyn Konruff, and Brad Loos.  Guests were: Melvin Forster,
Jamie Richey, and Gerri Whitlow.  Steve Senteney called, but had
to go because of a tornado warning.

Cheryl recited the NFB Pledge.

Jamie Richey, Nebraska's Newsline coordinator, gave us a
presentation about Newsline.  She explained what it is, how to
use it, and gave us a demonstration.  She answered our questions.

Linda read the May meeting minutes.  Geralyn moved, Cheryl
seconded, that they be approved as read.  The motion carried.

Cheryl gave the treasurer's report as follows:

June 12, 2017

Beginning Balance May 8, 2016 $786.53

Expenses

PAC plan pledge $ 15.00

Deposits

No deposits

Ending Balance June 12, 2017 $771.53

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer  Barbara moved, Nancy seconded, that
we accept the Treasurer's report as read.  The motion carried.

OLD BUSINESS.  Robert asked those who had made contact with
others who have been on the call once or twice to contact them to
either encourage them to join us, or see if they are still
interested, and to let him know.

Melvin asked about paying dues.

Robert mentioned that, in a box of stuff he was given when he
took over the presidency of this division, there are two Louis
Braille silver dollar coins that we can do something with at some
point.

Many of us will be at the National Convention in July, so we
agreed that our next meeting will be in August.

Robert talked to Bob Riley, who said he's been getting calls
about canes.  There are fewer sources and suppliers of canes out
there.  Chris said that Iowa stopped making canes two and a half
years ago, and were just selling the rest of their inventory.
They used carbon fiber fishing pole blanks, which is what they
used to manufacture canes.  These are no longer available because
fishing poles are being made out of something else.  Robert
mentioned that, in one of the Blind Mice Mall internet stores,
they make custom-made canes.  A discussion ensued about canes in
different colors with different colored handles and tips, and the
legality of those canes.  Chris will read our state White Cane
law before our next meeting, and see what it says.  This
discussion morphed into one about different schools for the
blind, how students were and are treated, and what extra
curricular activities were done.

There was a short discussion about proper and no Braille labeling
on doors.  We should talk about this with managers of businesses
we frequent.  We should compliment them for doing it, and if they
don't, ask them why not.

BRAGS AND DRAGS.  Barbara shared their huge drag.  Their son John
died at 33, and they are having to work on adjustment to that new
normal.

Robert's drag is that he won't be going to convention this year
because his wife is going to have surgery for breast Cancer on
Friday.

Cheryl said she finally got rid of the mice.  Also, she was able
to get a new thermostat for about half price because she used
some points from a credit card.

Gina's drag is that she just bought a new microwave, and she
can't get it to turn on.

She is not getting any help from the Commission for the Blind
lady in her area.

Chris moved adjournment.  Nancy seconded.  The motion carried,
and we adjourned at 8:40 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary