[Nebraska-senior-blind] Article - Yarn, hook, and needle

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 00:39:01 UTC 2018

First, is where this article comes from, followed by the article itself.

This comes from a newsletter that I receive:

The Blind Post classified news

>From and for the blind and visually impaired.

November 9, 2018

And if you wish to receive it, here is info to get subscribed-

TheBlindPost at groups.io; on behalf of; Lori Motis <ljm2561 at gmail.com>

Yarn, hook, and needle

Crafts by Phyllis Campbell

It's time to start thinking seriously about our holiday giving, but first
let's talk about yarn for our gift giving.  In addition to the traditional
textures and colors there seem to be loads of novelty yarns out there to
please even those with really "funky" taste.

Lion Brand's Lion Homespun Holiday Yarn, is just like our old friend,
HomeSpun, except in sparkley Holiday colors, perfect for decorations or even
that festive shawl.  Then there are the cottons in Holiday colors, or frost
colors such as white, red or green.  These make lovely place mats, towels or
our old favorite the dish or wash cloth.  In addition, some companies such
as NY yarns have colorful yarns that knit up into soft scarves and the like.
A tiny word of warning when choosing flashy yarns unless the recipient is
really into the unusual.  It might be better to have someone take a look at
the colors for you, or what the heck, go ahead and gain a reputation for
giving the unusual.

One of the fun, not so unusual yarns is Boa.  It's somewhat like fur, and
comes in some interesting colors such as Phoenix, and would make a nice
scarf for the Potter fans among us.  There is a line of Boa just for the
Holidays.

In preparing material for this column I ran across a couple of, to me, at
least, unusual yarns.  Mind, I'm not recommending them, because I haven't
tried them, and would love to hear from any of you if you do.

Here are the descriptions, pasted directly from the site.

"Red Heart Spark A Doodle accent yarn with an irresistibly soft pom on a
dyed-to-match carrier cord. Poms are

about 3in apart; when knit or crocheted; the poms match up nicely to create
a very

soft; textural fabric which is fabulous on both sides. The subtle metallic
sparkle

adds just enough spark to create interest; ideal for accessories like
scarves and

hats; but also as accent on mittens, garments, pet wear, home decor, and
more."

This next one is definitely something I can hardly imagine, but here goes!

Bernat (R) Sequin Yarn

Bernat Sequin Yarn.  "Sequin yarn is just what it says. It is yarn with
sequins attached

to give this cable yarn sparkle. You get good stitch definition with this
yarn and

it works well for both knit and crochet projects.

Weight Category: 4 - Medium, Worsted Weight."

Crochet Easy Wreath Ornament

Measures

2" Diameter

MATERIALS:

Red Heart 4 ply WW Yarn (Christmas multi-color)

Hook Size G

Stitches: ch, sl st, sc.

R1: Ch2, sc in 2nd ch from hook.

R2: Ch1, turn. Sc in the sc.

Rep R2 until piece measures 6". (HINT: The length of a regular crochet
hook.)

Twist the piece 5 times and join with a sl st.

Fasten off and add a bow and a hanger.

Crochet Cinema Wrap

SIZE: One Size

About 14 x 60 in. (35.5 x 152.5)

MATERIALS

Lion BrandR Vanna's Colors color of your choice.

Quantity needed: 5 Skeins

Lion Brand Crochet Hook - Size K-10.5

Large-Eye Blunt Needle

GAUGE:

10 half double crochet + 8 rows = 4 in. (10 cm).

INSTRUCTIONS

WRAP

Chain 38.

Row 1: Half double crochet in 3rd chain from hook and in each chain across -
36 half

double crochet.

Row 2: Chain 2, turn, half double crochet in each stitch across.

Repeat Row 2 until piece measures about 60 in.

(152.5 cm) from beginning.

Fasten off.

FINISHING

Weave in ends.

Knit Pomp a Doodle Scarf

Measurements:  Approximately 5" by 35"

Materials:  1 ball Pompa a Doodle; 1 pair needles U

S 9.

Gauge 10sts equals 4"

Cast on 14 STS, and knit every row until desired length is reached.  Casting
on with the knit method is recommended, being sure that you push the poms to
the side, and work only with the cord throughout.  DO NOT PULL THE POMS
THROUGH THE STITCHES.  Cast off when desired length has been reached.
(Note)  I strongly recommend that you take a gauge before using this yarn.)

Mimosa Slouchy Beanie

MATERIALS

Naturally Caron.com JOY!

(70% Acrylic/30% Bamboo; 2.5oz/70.8g, 138yds/127m):

2 skeins Blue Bird #0005

One circular needle size U.S. 8 (5mm), 24"/60cm long

, or size to obtain gauge

One circular needle size U.S. 6 (4mm), 24"/60cm long

One set of five size U.S. 8 (5mm) double-pointed needles (dpn)

Stitch marker

Cable needle

Yarn needle

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS

Circumference: 18" Brim, stretched

GAUGE

In Cable and Lace Pattern, 22 sts and 28 rows = 4"/10cm, using larger needle

STITCHES USED

2x2 Rib (multiple of 4 sts)

All Rnds: *K2, p2; rep from * to end.

Cable and Lace Pattern (multiple of 11 sts)

Rnd 1: *K6, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo; rep from * to end.

Rnd 2: Knit.

Rnd 3: *C6B, k1, yo, sk2p, yo, k1; rep from * to end.

Rnd 4: Knit.

Rep Rnds 1-4 for Cable and Lace Pattern.

SPECIAL TERMS

C6B: Slip 3 sts to cn, hold to back, k3, k3 from cn.

M1: Lift strand between needles to LH needle and knit strand through back
loop. (1

st increased)

Sk2p: Slip 1 knitwise, knit 2 stitches together, pass slipped stitch over.
(2 stitches

decreased)

Ssk:

Slip next 2 stitches, 1 at a time, to RH needle as if to knit, return
stitches to

LH needle in new orientation, knit 2 stitches together through back loop. (1
stitch

decreased)

BRIM

With smaller needle, CO 84 sts. Join to work in the rnd, taking care not to
twist

sts; place marker at beginning of rnd.

Work in 2x2 Rib for until piece measures 3" from beg.

BODY

Inc Rnd: Change to larger needles. K5, *M1, k5; rep from * to last 4 sts,
k4-99 sts.

Next Rnd: Work in Cable and Lace Pattern until piece measures 10" from beg,
ending

with Rnd 4 of pattern.

CROWN

Shape Crown

Note: Change to dpns when necessary for number of sts on needle.

Dec Rnd 1: K2, *ssk, k3, sk2p, k3; rep from * to last 9 sts, ssk, k3, sk2p,
k1-72

sts.

Dec Rnd 2: *K1, sk2p; rep from * to end-36 sts.

Dec Rnd 3: *Ssk; rep from * to end-18 sts.

Rep Dec Rnd 3 once-9 sts.

Break yarn, weave through remaining sts, cinch shut on WS.

FINISHING

Using yarn needle, weave in ends.

May your Holidays be peaceful and joyful.

Phyllis

pcampbell16 at verizon.net <mailto:pcampbell16 at verizon.net>