[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] December 9, 2019 Secretary's Report

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Sat Jan 11 00:53:41 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Please let me know if you find any errors, or
whatever. You know how it is when you proof your
own work! Smile. Thanks, and talk to many of you Monday evening.

Blessings,

Linda

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR Division SECRETARY's REPORT

Monday, December 9, 2019

The NFBN Senior Division met by telephone
conference on Monday, December 9, 2019. President
Robert Newman called the meeting to order at 7:03
PM CST. Members present were: President Robert
Newman, Vice President Barbara Loos, Secretary
Linda Mentink, Treasurer Cheryl Livingston, Board
Member Nancy Oltman, Gina Finnell, Walt Hively,
Brad Loos, and Jerry Whitlow. The only guest was Jo Boshart.

Barbara recited the NFB Pledge. Nancy will recite it next month.

We shared favorite Christmas recipes, traditions, gifts, and memories.

Linda read the November, 2019, Secretary's
Report. It will be made a part of the permanent record of the organization.

Cheryl read the Treasurer's Report as follows:

Treasurer's Report Senior Division

Monday, December 9, 2019

Beginning Balance 1189.33

Expenses

PAC for 15.00

Deposits

Dues – Steve Senteney 10.50

Ending Balance 1184.83

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

It will be made a part of the financial record of the organization.

Linda asked if we should put out a reminder to
renew membership by January 1. Robert said that
would be a good idea. Jo is going to join us.

Robert asked if any of us had looked at the list
of topics he sent out. We should call him before
Christmas if we have any input.

Barbara reported that the videos haven't happened
yet. Jo and Brad have volunteered to help with
that project. Robert and Barbara talked about
writing short scripts so that they know what they
are doing to keep them short and sweet. Barbara
contacted Dan Burke at the Colorado Center for
the Blind, which has a Senior component to it, to
ask if they have any videos similar to what we're
talking about. They have one, but it doesn't do
what we want. If we do get something developed
along this line, we could put them up on their
Youtube channel. Linda reminded Barbara that
Nebraska also has a Youtube channel. Jo added
that they talked about having Eric check a couple
of the venues to think about where the lighting would be best.

BRAGS AND DRAGS. Robert's brag or drag is that he
won't be here for our next meeting. Since he and
Bonnie missed the cruise in October, they're going to Jamaica in January.

Gina's drag is that her kids had to bug out on
Thanksgiving because of the weather. They were
supposed to take her to dialysis on Friday, but
she went in a police car instead.

Jerry ordered the Wayaround Tags, which were
delivered on the 25th of November. Because of the
strong winds that day, they probably got lost, so
they are sending her another pack. January 2nd
she is having surgery on her left ear to remove a
benign tumor. She said that these drags will turn into brags!

Jo's brag is that she needs a stair lift to get
down to her basement, and there may be a free one
if it will work in her stairway. She was going to
buy one in April, but could have this one sooner.

Barbara reported that the Action Fund met the
weekend of the 15th, 16th and 17th of November,
so they got to be the pioneers to see the new
space at theNational Center and stay in it. There
are 21 new sleeping rooms, one is a suite, which
wrap around the living room, family room, kitchen
and hang out area. There are tactile and visual
art pieces in several of the areas. In the
McGeorge area there is a fountain that is
reminiscent of the one they had at their home.
The fireplace has some of the marble from the
home that Dr. and Mrs. Jernigan had. Some of Dr.
tenBroek's fireplace utensils will be put on the
wall or something in that area.

Linda will write up all the recipes we shared in
a separate document, which will come later.

There was no further business, so we wished each
other a merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2020, and adjourned at 8:34 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary