[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] October Senior Division Meeting - Monday, two days away

robertleslienewman at gmail.com robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 19:00:22 UTC 2021

Hi You All

RE: Our October Meeting is two days from today - Monday

Non-Members are WELCOME

TOPIC: We work together to discuss and decide upon how we can address the
recent list of suggested actions by our affiliate/national leaders; focus on
building membership, and more. (that list is pasted in below.)

Contents of this message:

*When and how to get on the call

*Agenda

 *The NFB Pledge

*#1 When and how to get on the call:

Date: October 11th

Time: 7:00 CT

Join Zoom Meeting:

 <https://zoom.us/j/97431318555?pwd=NmVpT2VhTEl4ZlczVElyZDYycDNGQT09>
https://zoom.us/j/97431318555?pwd=NmVpT2VhTEl4ZlczVElyZDYycDNGQT09

One tap mobile:

+13462487799,,97431318555#,,,,*637552# US (Houston)

+14086380968,,97431318555#,,,,*637552# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location:

+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 974 3131 8555

Passcode: 637552

*#2 Agenda:

-First- Come to order, do introductions, and present our NFB Pledge:

-Secretary and Treasurers Reports

--OLD BUSINESS:

-We work through our above mentioned list.

-Also discuss fund raising ideas.

Ad anything else members may bring.

--NEW BUSINESS

-Whatever we get from the membership

-Brags and Drags

*#3 NFB Pledge:

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

**Here is the set of notes that came from Amy Buresh:

Urge participation and activity around beam in October Blind Equality &
Action Month

It aligns with our goals and objectives for the month. It is also clear and
brief enough while encompassing the full scope - acronym B.E.A.M.

Below is a list of objectives and things to consider when planning for
October activities.

Objectives & Overview

. Build the Federation through a focused membership engagement campaign

. Advocate in public spaces and provide a time of year for many local
activities

. Remember history, advance equality, and celebrate accomplishments. It's
more than awareness.

2021 Plan

. Employment Focus

. White Cane Day - Fundraising & Proclamation

. Memory Minute Contest (membership and mentorship)

Other National Days and Months In October:

. October 15 is White Cane Awareness Day - promote the proclamations for
chapters to get signed in 2021 in their local areas

. Blind Americans Equality Day is federally celebrated on October 15. We
should try to get involved in that process - here is the 2020 document:

. October National Disability Employment Awareness Month 2021

Other important aspects that people included that should be part of
messaging and communications during the month:

. 5 essential elements for success found in the Freedom for the Blind. Those
are acceptance of blindness, blindness skills, addressing public attitudes
about the blind, blending in, and giving back

. Focus on the work that we do, how do we get people to volunteer, what are
the "blind" jobs

. Independence, Integration, & Information

. Opportunity for questions you are too afraid to ask"

November 13 graduate event in Lincoln registration info as well as a link
for making hotel reservations if desired will be coming as soon briefly
discuss programming and get input. Have folks share ideas with you and Bob
or bring it to Tuesday's meeting rather than taking a lot of meeting time
Saturday.

Highlight Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog Posts:

The Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog features stories from our members,
news, and commentary on issues affecting our community. If you would like to
submit a blog entry, please send an email to  <mailto:dmccann at nfb.org>
dmccann at nfb.org. Share the most recent blog posts:

. "A Positive Step Forward: Update on the Issues I Had while Trying to
Participate in a Vaccine Trial" by Chris Sabine

. "STEM Education Can Be Accessible-And Fun!" by Madeline Mau

. "I Didn't Know You Were Out There: Finding Connections through the Stories
We Share" by Danielle McCann

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

. October 1: Presidential Release, 12:00 p.m.

. November 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

. December 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

Respectfully yours,

Robert Leslie Newman

NFBN Senior Division, President