[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] 2020 Annual Meeting Secretary's Report Corrected

Linda Mentink lmentink7360 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 23:17:33 UTC 2022

Hi All,

I corrected the spelling of Dr.  Maurer's last name and added
last names of participants the first time they are mentioned.  I
hope I caught them all.  Please let me know if I need to change
anything.  Thanks, and sorry for the lateness of my getting this
done!

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION
ANNUAL MEETING SECRETARY'S REPORT

Friday, October 23, 2020

The NFBN Senior Division Annual Meeting was held via Zoom on
Friday, October 23, 2020.  President Robert Newman called the
meeting to order at 4:33 PM.

Vice President Barbara Loos read the meeting agenda.

Many recited our NFB Pledge.  Dr.  Marc Maurer said that the
Pledge was first adopted by the Federation in 1974.  It was
printed on the back of the membership cards that were issued in
those days.

All 17 attendees introduced themselves, beginning with our guest
presenters.

Dr.  Maurer, our Immediate National Past President, was our first
presenter.  He shared a lot about our history and the many ways
we have changed opportunities for the blind over the years, both
nationally and internationally.  Now we are thinking about how to
change opportunities for blind seniors.  He likes our future
history because we can sit around in meetings like this and
decide what it's going to be.  Robert asked him if there is
anything special that he sees for seniors.  He said that we need
to invent what it means to be a senior as a blind person, and how
we go about it, and what techniques are needed, so that we don't
spend our time in the old folks home or in the care facility.

Our second presenter was Peggy Chong, the Blind History Lady.
She shared the story of Frank Edgecomb, a newspaper man from
Geneva, Nebraska.  He was born in 1864, and became blind later in
life.

Duncan Larsen, Director of Senior Services at the Colorado Center
for the Blind, was our third presenter.  She shared the history
of the senior program which was started by Ray McGeorge.  They
started with one monthly support group, which then became a
weekly group with home visits.  They now have three weekly
groups.  They have two one-week Seniors in Charge programs each
year where seniors come to the center for training.  They have
training in cane travel, Braille, technology and home management.
During COVID they are doing virtual weekly groups, and are not
holding trainings at the center.  There are senior programs at
the Louisiana Center for the BLIND and Blind Inc.  Duncan's dream
is to see staff from the three NFB centers come together and do
an in-person program for seniors.  We are seen around the country
as experts in the field of blindness, and are called on by
professionals for our expertise in blindness.  Bob Burns asked
what it would take to do something like that here.  We could do
it if we had the facilities and a staff person or two.  They
receive funding from Older Independent Blind money and the area
Agency on Aging.

Robert shared a little about the National Seniors retreat that
was going on and mentioned the retreats that had been taking
place at Rocky Bottom in South Carolina.

Linda Mentink read the 2019 Secretary's Report.  There were no
additions or corrections, so it will be made a part of the
permanent record of the organization.

Cheryl Livingston read the Treasurer's Report as follows:

Senior Division Annual Report

October 1, 2019-SEPTEMBER 30, 2020

Beginning Balance October 1, 2019 $1205.33

Expenses PAC Plan $180

Convention Assistance $150

Division Dues $95

Total Expenses $425

Income: Division Dues $190

Sale of Clickers $14

Miscellaneous Donation $.50

Total Income: $204.50

Ending Balance September 30, 2020 $984.83

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

There were no questions.  The report will be made a part of the
financial record of the organization.  Robert mentioned that we
need to get our dues paid by our next division meeting, which
will be Monday, November 9.  It will be a joint meeting with New
Mexico.  He will put a post about paying dues on our listserv.

ELECTIONS.  Chris Boone moved, Jo Boshart seconded, that we
extend the terms of all of our current officers to two years,
which would carry the elections forward until October of 2021.
The motion carried.

Barbara mentioned that they started the "coffee video" for taking
to the Association of Activities Directors.  They got as far as
having a script and talking to someone about doing some videoing.
COVID happened, and that put a total stoppage to it.

Barbara moved, Brad seconded, that we give a scholarship next
year.  The motion carried.

Barbara explained the NLS eReader that she is testing from
HumanWare.

Jeff Altman mentioned a free app he found called Lazerillo for
traveling.

Barbara and Robert really like the Orbit Writer.

Barbara mentioned that AIRA and Wayaround, the two things she
showed last year, are now working together in a partnership.

We adjourned at 6:27 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary