[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] Tonight's Secretary's Report Pasted in and Attached

Linda Mentink lmentink7360 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 01:45:16 UTC 2022

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION
ANNUAL MEETING SECRETARY'S REPORT

Friday, March 25, 2022

The NFBN Senior Division annual meeting was held via Zoom on
Friday, March 25, 2022.  President Robert Newman called the
meeting to order at 6:30 PM CDT.

Robert welcomed everyone and said our NFB Pledge.

Vice President Barbara Loos read the meeting agenda.

All 22 attendees introduced themselves and told where they live
and how long they have been in the NFB.

Shawn Callaway, our National Representative, spoke to us.  He
said our seniors have a lot of wisdom and history, and make us
better as an organization and as blind people.  He thanked us for
inviting him.  Robert asked him to share some about the Seniors
Division in the Washingson, D.C.  area.  They have a book club
and are going to start a buddy program.  He shared some of the
attitudinal barriers that they are dealing with there, such as
family members not wanting their parent to learn to be
independent and Ophthalmologists and Optometrists not referring
their patients for rehabilitation.  He answered a few questions
about the D.C.  affiliate and his leadership which have helped it
to grow.

Linda Mentink read the 2020 Secretary's Report.  There were no
additions or corrections.  It will be made a part of the
permanent record of the organization.

Cheryl read the October 1, 2020-March 25, 2022, Treasurer's
Report.  It will be made a part of the financial record of the
organization.

Robert mentioned that we donated $50 for door prizes for this
convention.  Also, he got a form to fill out from Jennifer from
Vanda Pharmaceuticals, so that they can give us a donation.
Nancy Coffman mentioned that they helped to sponsor this
convention.  He also got an email from Tricia Waechter, of Blind
Girl Designs, stating that she would donate some of her items to
auction off to help with our fund-raising efforts.  He will send
us an email about these things.

Barbara Loos moved, Chris Boone seconded, that we offer a
scholarship preferably to someone who is new-if not, then to
someone who would apply-for our next face-to-face convention.
The motion carried.

Elections were held, and the following officers were elected by
acclamation: President Robert Newman, Vice President Barbara
Loos, Secretary Linda Mentink, Treasurer Cheryl Livingston, and
Board Member Nancy Oltman.

Tech Time.  Nancy Coffman demonstrated Seeing AI.

Kimberly Scherbarth talked about Newsliner and demonstrated it on
Alexa.

The meeting adjourned at 8:03 PM CDT.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary