[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] State Convention Reminders and Other Announcements

Jamie K. Richey jamie.richey16 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 22:12:41 UTC 2023

Greetings Fellow Federationists and Friends!

It is only four weeks until our state convention!  Are you as excited as I
am to come together for the first time in person in three years?

I wanted to give you a few reminders as well as some updates from state and
national.

We had two members attend the Washington Seminar in January.  The meetings
went great, and we got quite a bit of interest from Congressman Flood on the

Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/websites-and-
software-applications-accessibility-act>

He asked that members take a look at his

Website <https://flood.house.gov/>

To insure it was accessible.  We will continue to work with his office to
gain his support!

The NFB of Nebraska Board of Directors met on February 11th at the site of
our state convention.  It was great to tour the facilities at the

Lincoln Marriott Cornhusker Hotel
<https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/lnkfs-the-lincoln-marriott-cornhusker
-hotel/overview/>

And really got us excited for the big event!

The Board of Directors meetings for 2023 are as follows:

*	Saturday, April 22, 2023 - Omaha
*	Saturday, July 22, 2023 - TBA
*	Saturday, October 28, 2023 - TBA

Now to some state convention reminders!

The agenda is out and can be found on our convention page

Here <https://ne.nfb.org/node/508>

The block of rooms at the hotel will close on March 2nd, so

Book Online
<https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=16751816
85873&key=GRP&app=resvlink>

Or call (402) 474-7474.  Don't forget to mention the  code: FDBR for the
reduced rate of $99 per night plus taxes.

On March 5th

Pre-Registration <https://ne.nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=18>

Closes and the prices increase by $5.00.  Registration will still be
available online until March 20th and at convention.

The deadline for the

Gwendolyn M. Mangnall Scholarship <https://ne.nfb.org/node/506>

Is also March 5th as well as the deadline for

Child Care <https://ne.nfb.org/node/505>

March 10th is the deadline for

Resolutions <https://ne.nfb.org/node/504>

Get those sent in!

We are pleased to welcome

President Mark A. Riccobono
<https://nfb.org/about-us/leadership/presidents-corner/mark-riccobono>

As our national rep.  President Riccobono last visited us in 2014 and we are
honored to have him attend our state convention once again!

Now on to the NFB National Convention and a few other announcements!

National Convention Registration Opens March 1:

The 2023 NFB National Convention will be a truly exciting and memorable
event, with an unparalleled program and rededication to the goals and work
of our movement. A wide range of seminars for parents of blind children,
technology enthusiasts, job seekers, and other groups will kick the week off
on Saturday, July 1, in Houston, Texas. Reminder:

#NFB23

Registration will open on March 1. Read the

latest convention bulletin
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm23/bm2302/bm230201.htm>

or visit

The Convention Page

for more information.

Scholarship Program Deadline Approaching March 31st:

The National Federation of the Blind scholarship program helps blind college
students reach their educational and employment goals and so much more.
Building on its strong foundation, we have enhanced the awards
granted-making the experience even more inclusive, engaging, and meaningful
for the thirty finalists. Each scholarship winner will receive $8,000.
Encourage students to

apply for the 2023 scholarship program <https://scholarships.nfb.org/> .

Lyft Up and Share:

 An exciting and easy giving option for everyone: the organized blind
movement is part of the Lyft Up program, so you can contribute every time
you ride with Lyft. The program will round up the cost of your ride to the
nearest dollar and donate the difference. In the Lyft app, simply go to the
menu, navigate to donate, and choose National Federation of the Blind. Share
this with all of your friends and family, because all of our small change
leads to making a big difference. Thank you for your support.

See you all in 28 days as we Dream, Dare, Discover!

Sincerely,

Jamie K. Richey, President

National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska

Office: (402) 477-7711

E-Mail: president at ne.nfb.org <mailto:president at ne.nfb.org>