[Nebraska-students] airport/flying questions

Mary Gould meleeri at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 18:29:39 UTC 2010

Yes, a sign is how lots of people find each other at airports.  But just arrange it so that you have the sign, not them, and then they can come to you.  You can also let them know in advance what you will be wearing that day and give a general description of yourself in case its your antu that comes.  Or else you can arrange to meet at a certain place like an information counter or somewhere at baggage claim, or something.
     As far as getting around the airport goes, there are sky caps (you know, the guys that bring the wheelchairs for people, etc.) who can help you get from one gate to the other.  (And, in my opinion, you will definitely want to ask for one, especially if your layover is not very long, because it's a big, weird airport.  Just talk to the gate agent, or a flight attendant on the plane before you get off.)  Bring a bit of change to tip the sky caps.  They work for the airport, not the airlines, as far as I know, so I'm not sure there's anyway to know if they will be nice and helpful or not--but lots of times they are, especially if you are friendly, too.
     They offer pre-boarding to anyone who has a more difficult time getting on the plane and you can take advantage of that or not, depending on how you feel about it and your specific situation.  But you have to be careful, because that's all-but a guarantee that they will try to baby you to death--reseat you up front, give you lids on drinks, talk to you like you're three, assume you can't do anything...and maybe even try to take away your cane.  Don't let them do that, because they aren't supposed to.  They are less likely to try to if you can fold it up and stick it under the seat, but that's not a reason not to bring a straight cane.  You can still put it down on the floor out of the way.
     Let me know if you have any more questions about it, but I don't think you will have too much of a hard time.  Just act like you know what you're doing and confidently ask for help if you don't.  :)
Oh, yeah, and have a good trip!
Good luck!
Mary