[Nebraska-students] Driving

Alli L naley.always.and.forever.xx at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 00:15:52 UTC 2011

Hey guys
I have a question for you.  I'm bored, and a little angry I guess you could say.  I absolutely -hate- not being able to get in a car and go where I want to go when I want to go somewhere.  My brother got a car last week so it got me thinking, it's so dang unfair that sighted people can drive and we can't.  I feel like I'm being punished for something that I can't do anything about and it's not my fault either.  I mean, sure, I live on a bus route, but the bus doesn't run late enough or it's just a big pain in the butt because I have to transfer to get to where I want/need to go or catch a ride with someone.  And I can't afford a cab.  It's not like I was stupid and got a DUI so that's why I don't have a license, it's because I'm blind.  When are we going to get cars that -we- can drive?  People that know me know that if I could I would've gotten my license the day I turned 16.  Car = freedom.  I feel like I have to inconvenience other people to get where I need to go.  I'm so sick of it!  One time I would like to be able to drive where I want to go, have the radio on the station I want it on, and just go just once.  Is that too much to ask?  I'm almost 21, so for five long years I've had to wait for other people to take me places or wait for a time when they could take me, or catch a bus.  It's getting to the point where it's beyond old and annoying.  The day a car comes out that blind people can drive on the roads, I'm getting one.
How do you guys deal with this?    Does anyone else feel this way (like we're being punished for something we didn't do or have control over, or like they're saying "everyone -except- blind people can get a license and drive a car," I can't think of the word right now that I'm looking for)?  I told my mom I just wanted to be able to drive where I wanted to go when I wanted to go there and she said "well, you can hire a driver." and I thought, "no, I want to be able to drive, not have someone else take me where I wanna go, that's pretty much what I have now."

Thanks for reading that big long thing.  I feel so much better now.

This night is sparkling don't you let it goI'm wonderstruck blushing all the way homeI'll spend forever wondering if you knewI was enchanted to meet youThis night is flawless don't you let it goI'm wonderstruck dancing around all aloneI'll spend forever wondering if you knewI was enchanted to meet you