[Nebraska-students] driving

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:19:50 UTC 2011

Alli,

Try having had your license and knowing the freedom of driving
first-hand!  *smile*

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we have to live in realities,
and the reality is that technology has not evolved enough to allow blind
people to drive.  I know the NFB and Virginia Tech have been working on
technology that allows one to drive non-visually, and these developments
are exciting, but again, we are no where near seeing these cars on the
market.  We are not even in the first stages of campaigning or garnering
support.

So what does this mean?  While we keep on top of this developing
technology, we have to be as responsible as possible in terms of
reliable transportation.  My husband and I are actually dealing with
this situation right now.  We are both blind and use the bus as our main
mode of transportation.  Where we currently live is right by a bus stop,
and this route is consistent throughout the day.  Depending on where we
go, we do have to transfer, but we have a lot along our route we can
access without transferring.  We also have some places like a
supermarket that are in walking distance.

Our dilemma is that a nice location to live has cropped up, but the
downside is that we would give up an every half hour bus for an once an
hour bus, the bus stops running after six p.m. and there is no bus
service on Sundays.  We're deciding if the location is worth the
cut-back in reliable transportation.  At the moment, we're leaning
towards it is not.

As blind people, we have to live in the moment.  It is like waiting for
cures for blindness.  We can stay current with news and keep track of
developments, but until something concrete and successful is available,
we have to do what we currently can to live as happy, healthy, active
blind people who are independent.  The same is true when discussing
transportation.  Especially as blind adults, we need to be aware of our
options and try as best we can to situate ourselves so we can optimize
our transportation experience.

It is exciting that Virginia Tech has jumped on board with the
Federation's vision, and some super cool technology has developed that
makes this idea a possibility.  Keep in mind, however, our society does
not switch gears (no pun intended) very easy.  They've been talking
about electric cars and alternative fuel cars for years and years-- like
since the 1960's.  The technology currently exist for these types of
cars, but, oh what is it, 50 years later gas guzzling cars still
dominate.  Hybrids are on the market, but people are not buying them as
much as it was hoped.  Switching from traditional driving technology has
been a slow process, and we are just at the tip of the iceburg with
alternative fuel cars.

So I doubt we will see non-visual interface cars anytime soon especially
since, for the timebeing, cars like this would be marketed only to a
very small population.

It is only to our benefit that we utilize what resources are available.
The fact is that if you live near public transit, it should become your
main source of transportation including transfers if that what it takes
to get to certain destinations.

Trust me, I know, getting a ride is my top choice too, but, at least for
me, it is not usually an option.  It is very frustrating, and I wish the
world would adopt a way more positive attitude towards disability so
something like technology for non-visual interfaces for cars would be
expedited and be a much more concrete reality.  This is part of the
problem too.

You and I know blindness is not a reason to automatically assume driving
is out of the question, but most of the world has never even thought
driving could be something sight was not necessary for.  Deaf people can
drive, and many doubt the ability of the deaf to drive, but the deaf
community has proved it is possible.  Grant it, for the blind to drive
it would require certain technology, but if people were more accepting
of the fact that blindness is not always as huge an obstacle as they
think, developing cars drivable by the blind would be easier to sell.

I never really thought driving was all that big of a deal until I no
longer had the option to hop in my car and go somewhere on my timetable,
or I could leave without waiting on a ride.  It is something I miss, but
I've realized I have to live in the moment right now which means I have
to use the bus.  It sucks, but it is currently the reality.  We need to
adjust and face this reality.

The next time you want to go somewhere and no one is able to drive you,
figure out how to get there on the bus.  Learning to adjust to this will
help you as you move forward in your life.  A part of being an
independent blind person is using reliable transportation to get you to
and from places-- if this is the bus, you need to just do it.

Let's also keep our fingers crossed that we don't have to wait 50 years
for technology, and more importantly, society's attitudes to catch up to
our desire to drive a car.  *smile*

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog for Live Well Nebraska.com at

Message: 1