[Nebraska-students] Employment Discrimination

Rachael Vacanti revacanti at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 04:48:29 UTC 2011

Hello,

I recently graduated from CCB and now I'm looking for a summer job, or part
time job that I can work during the school year as well.  I applied at a
place called Charming Charlies.  It's a really cute and cool looking place.
Now, I sent them an email which reads as follolws:

"To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Rachael Vacanti and I am having a rather boring summer.  How is
it boring you may ask?  Well, I am currently unemployed, and personally, I
would adore a job.  I have a huge taste in fashion and can make things my
own just by adding on some accessories.  I am very organized in how I go
about dealing with all my necklaces, earrings, bracelets, bags, shoes and
scarves.  I also enjoy helping people find things to go with what they
currently own, while also looking for their input and keeping their personal
style in mind.  I have had excellent customer service at other stores, and
am looking to give back to people, what they gave to me.  Excellent customer
service.  I focus really well on work, since I’m doing something, and that
helps me not worry about my life for once and worry about what others think
and how I’m doing at work.  Having looked at your site, I notice that you
are organizing it by color.  This is a very smart move on your part, and one
that I can handle very easily.  I am blind, however that does not stop me
from pursuing my dreams.  I have rather a lot of usual vision and have
recently graduated a school where I spent nine months totally blind and
completed projects in all required courses.  I can get myself to wherever I
need to go, know how to organize and interact with all different types of
people.  In addition to being very well organized, I am also very outgoing,
responsible, and fun to be around.  So, I feel like I’m a perfect candidate
to be a confident charmer.  Please take a look at the resume I attached and
see exactly what I mean.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read this
message and I hope to hear from you soon.  You my contact me at any time
with comments, quesions or concerns via email: revacanti at gmail.com. or my
cell phone (402)-960-9085.

Sincerely,

Rachael E. Vacanti"

Now, my question is, did I do the right thing by mentioning that I'm blind
in the email?  Yes I backed it up with the fact that I can do this now that
I've had training, but I'm still slightly nervous.  I'm not sure if all the
positions are full yet.  The store manager turned down a lot of people
already, but he hired both my friend and the other girl at her interview.
It says the positions are still open, and according to my friend, I should
get the call tomorrow.  What I'm also wondering is, how do I determine if
I'm being discriminated against or not?  The answers and/or advice to these
questions and feedback on my email to them would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I attached a copy of my updated resume.  Thanks NABS!

Rachael Vacanti