[Nebraska-students] Employment discrimination

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 1 21:38:59 UTC 2011

First, we are so proud that you graduated from CCB.  That was a huge
step that took a lot of guts, but you did it and are ready to conquer
the world!

Second, I'm glad to see your enthusiasm about moving forward.  Here are
a couple of things to keep in mind.

Though your email has a lot of positive energy, you don't want to
mention words like "boring" in a communication to a potential employer.
Do not focus on personal info unless it relates directly to the job at
hand.  It is not professional, and it is better to put your best foot
forward.

It was really good to speak about your passion and ability with fashion.
It displays how serious you are, and the level of dedication you bring
to a job.

I assume the email was meant to be a cover letter of sorts so it may be
beneficial to find some info about cover letters.  Always use a specific
persons name when applying for a job.  Find out the manage or
supervisor's name and address the communication to them.  You should
also focus only on what experience qualifies you for a position, and why
an employer should consider you.  Make it positive, but short and
simple.

Just a side note since I tend to notice these things, I'm not sure if
something was lost in translation when you posted this to the NABS list,
so forgive me if I'm sounding like an English teacher, but it would be
better to break this communication up into different paragraphs, and
double check spelling before sending communications especially to
potential employers.  I noticed "question" is spelled incorrectly.

Now, it is entirely up to an individual when they choose to disclose a
disability.  Personally, I don't think it is necessary to disclose a
disability unless some accommodation is necessary for an interview.  As
many of us know, our blindness has no bearing on our ability to
accomplish a job.  With most accommodations, blind people have very few
limitations, unfortunately not everyone in the world shares this view,
so I feel it is better to focus on the positives that direct an employer
to how great you are for a job.  For me, being blind is just a part of
my physical make-up; it does not, for me, play a role in how my
personality developed, or how I view the world, and it certainly does
not determine my ability with employment.

This does not mean it is wrong to mention a disability before an
interview.  It is a personal decision, and one we all must face.  There
is no right or wrong way.  It is what feels comfortable to you.
Disclosing a disability, though, does not have to be a lengthy
dissertation.  Do not go into personal information other than the fact
that you are blind, and how with some accommodations, you are equally
able to handle a job.  Employers do not want a full disclosure of your
background in terms of a disability.

My final words of wisdom- do not go into situations expecting
discrimination.  We all deal with that doubt in the back of our mind
that the world is watching our every move, and they do not believe we
are capable.  In my experience, many people may question how I do
things, but since I do them, they do not question my ability to handle a
task.

We want respect and fair treatment from those with sight, and we do not
want to be judged just because we can not see.  We should show the same
treatment to those with sight.

An employer may initially wonder how you can handle a job, but if you
have confidence and use skills efficiently, you will prove how able you
are.  True, I've had people make a snap judgment thinking I can't handle
something because I can't see, but I just do what I need to do in any
given situation, and most of the time, people come to realize that I can
keep up and handle regular task.

It is certainly something we need to be aware of and even prepared for,
but eventually we have to relax and understand that we don't know the
future.  Don't assume you will experience discrimination every where you
go.  This cultivates a combative attitude in us, which usually will show
through to others.  You don't want this type of demeanor with an
employer.

Do not think about how to handle possible discrimination.  Just focus on
providing a professional and confident demeanor, and work on language
that presents you in the best possible light for a particular job.  If,
after an interview, you feel there was some discrimination, then you can
deal with it, but it is just a waste of energy to bog yourself down with
negative thinking.

And remember, if you are not hired, or even given an interview, it is
not necessarily because you are blind.  We will encounter
disappointments in life, but we can't always blame our blindness.  Don't
give up and always pursue your dreams.  Concentrate on what you need to
do to make those dreams a reality.  If you are not offered a job- now or
in the future- look at what you can work on to be ready for the next
time.  Don't think every disappointment relates to your disability.  And
should your blindness have played a role, check that you did everything
in your power to make sure blindness was not an issue, but ultimately,
chalk it up to experience and move onto the next opportunity.

And don't forget that you have a plethora of resources and assistance
through the Federation, NCBVI and CCB.

Good luck!  *smile*

BP

Message: 1