[Nebraska-students] vacation with cane

Karen Anderson kea.anderson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 01:34:31 UTC 2011

Hey Alli,

Good question, and believe me you aren't the only one who's struggled with
this.

	My advice would be to take the cane you think is going to be most
useful to you. In the end, your family aren't the ones who are going to need
to use it, or the ones who are going to get information from it. Maybe it is
a little more difficult to store, but you know how to put it in the van
properly so it's out of the way, and if you don't I know any of us on the
list who use them would be happy to explain it to you.

	It's hard when our parents don't understand why we prefer the tools
we do. My dad still doesn't understand why I use a straight cane rather than
my folding cane. Once in a great while, when It won't matter, I will bend to
his wishes. (The example that is coming to mind is his recent wedding.) But,
those are times when I absolutely know I won't be doing much traveling at
all. And, even then, I had a straight cane in the car, just in case. You
might try explaining why you prefer the straight cane, sometimes that makes
a difference. In the end they are your parents and they want you to be happy
and safe.

Just my two cents,

Karen